LegacyGT.com

Strange Metal Knocking Noise

The last few days I have been driving my car and I get on the gas and I hear this sound like metal knocking together. I can repeat it if I get on the gas a little bit and off and on. I also checked the oil today which I changed maybe 3 weeks and 800 miles ago and it was below the low line. Any idea what the noise is and why the oil would be gone so fast with no sign of leaks especially a leak of 4 quarts.

the oil level is also kind of inconsistant to read ( in my car at least) -- i changed the oil one time and it read right at the full line..

the next day i checked it again and it was really low, so i added some oil --- then checked it again and it was waaaay over the full line..

so the moral of the story is to make sure you're getting a good reading off the dipstick before you jump to conclusions.

You need to turn off all of the noise making devices, i.e., raidio, fan, etc., roll down the window, and try to duplicate the noise again. Try to determine if it is coming from the drivetrain, like bearings, or if it is from the engine, or a loose heatshield. Then go from there. Maybe having someone else drive, while you ride and listen might help. There are many possibilities, so just try to isolate it first.

Good Luck! :)

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

This is called a PING

Well, that's what popped into my head.

Pinging, detonation, preignition sounds like rocks in a coffee can or a nickel tapping on the windsheild and is bad news. If your noise sounds like this, I would stop driving immediately.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I have upipe, downpipe, exhaust no cats and the heatshields around the downpipe and turbo are gone and the boost control and fuel computer. I also checked the oil many times and it was low and I added more and it is still dropping almost a whole quart in 2 days. I was driving it last night and I went to pass this guy at maybe 45 in 3rd and I got to about 4k RPMs and the fuel cut, the nose took a dive and the check engine light came on. Thanks for the help maybe that will help a little bit. Also I am not sure if Subaru will cover any of it because of the mods but let me know if that changes anything. Thanks again

Archived