LegacyGT.com

First experience of haunted clock display

wcbjr

welcome to the club

has your radio volume started going up/down by itself yet ?

Nope, this is the first time anything like this has happened.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Did you by any chance press the button shortly previous to the event?

Could the button have become slightly "stuck" on its contacts?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I didn't do a thing. I was pulling out of my garage backwards, 70 degress outside, car was cold. I stopped to put the car into first and noticed it switched on me. It was really quick.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

^ Strange!

Like Matt said, the display might switch temporarily -TO- outside temp. during freeze-warning state, but I've never had mine go from that, to something else, BACK to that.

Hum....was there something that coincided with your estimated MPG reading that might have caused the temporary shift? i.e. rolled over 1K miles on the trip odo that the trip meter corresponds to?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I've only had the "haunted radio" problem once - and that was because my wife had left the volume setting between two detents. :)

Certainly, it seems that our vehicles are not without some "Audi-esque" electrical gremlins!

Guest *Jedimaster*
I have had the haunted radio once, the missing radio and climate display and the manual transmission shifting itself once.

Wait until the windows start playing up. On occasions I've tried to open the drivers side window but nothing happens, then after a few minutes of driving it opens :icon_surp

PhilT ... have your dealer replace the power window switch. I had this happen and I diagnosed the problem. The window switch will get stuck in the "up" position when you put the window up. If the window switch stays up, then it doesn't respond right away when you push the button back down. You can test this theory by holding the switch up manually for a while then hit down right away and it won't do anything.

After replacing the switch in September, the problem hasn't repeated once.

The haunted radio issue with the volume going up and down on its own is because of the volume knob falling between two contacts for the volume, or "detents" as another poster noted.

The solution to this is to install the Spec.B steering wheel with radio controls! :D

This is another problem I used to get often that has completely disappeared. :lol:

Page 3-39 of the manual says the display is NOT haunted. It happens when the temp is 37 degrees or lower to warn you the roads might be covered with ice.

^ Please refer to the post originator's initial post as well as my post, #8.... :)

The problem with this statement is as follows:

Yes, if you're starting out on any other display function other than that of outside temperature monitor, upon freeze-warning (37 deg. F.), the display will momentarily flash over to that of outside temp.

However, what is happening with wcbjr is that his display is flashing over from outside temp. to something else, and then coming back to outside temp.

To the best of my knowledge, this is NOT a function detailed in our manual, and during freeze-warning, should the display have started at outside temp., the "37-deg." reading should simply flash a few times to get the driver's attention.

I have had this happen a couple of times. I figured I was just having a senior moment or forgot to take my ARICEP!
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Sheesh. I stand corrected. I guess that's why I came home from work early yesterday. My brain was not processing anything properly.

I read that it was on mpg then flashed TO outside temp...then the post about backing out of the garage, my brain processed that as "backed out of the 70 degree garage, it was cold outside"

Note to self...don't respond to forum postings when you're tired.

A-B-C, 1-2-3.

Love my RBP GT!

:lol:

Don't worry - I did the same thing on another thread (BB-code). Nowadays, I'm perpetually sleep-deprived, thanks to my new baby daughter. :)

wcbjr -

The "non-functioning" display reading seems to be a querk (may be a true "malfunction," though - I forgot what the Forum thread specified...it's been a while) with the '06s vehicle start-up procedure.

Give this a search, and you should find an old thread that addresses this issue.

Best of luck! :)

Oh .. the E/T error! I remember this. IIRC, it had something to do with how quickly one started the car. This sounds stupid, but I think that the original poster who documented this problem said that if you turned the key to the "ON" postion first *then* moved the key to START, the time worked normally.

Anyone remember this thread?

^ I finally found it! :) Thanks for jogging my memory, Brady!

I had to play around with my search terminology a bit - please ignore that part. :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19482&highlight=start

Archived