LegacyGT.com

dealership touch up paint

Going to the dealer today and was wondering how good the dealer touch up paint is? (compared to paintscratch.com. etc..)Trying to deal with my rock chips after only 2 months! just worried about chipping and rusting later. Does it come with a clear coat too? how should I clean the rock chip spot? Theres wax on it now but i know it will effect the bond of the new touch up paint. How long do I have to let it dry before I wash it?

The dealership touch up paint is a spot on match. Just look at how good their Regal Blue Pearl matches. You can't even tell it is there.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02732.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02733.jpg

...oh, wait. I forgot... The dealership paint didn't match so well.

Paintscratch.com will just send you the paint your paint code tells them to send. If you want to know you are getting a true match then you need to go to a paint shop and have them mix paint based on a sample from your car. Either way, you won't be able to make your touch up job totally blend in unless you are going to be either airbrushing it or wetsanding and blending. Perfect touch up work is pretty much impossible unless you are going to airbrush it.

If you don't know that you can't touch up over wax then you are probably best off doing a little more research on this particular process before you start. Whatever you are painting needs to be totally free of any oils and that definitely includes wax. You probably shouldn't wash the car for a day or so after you do the touch up, but since your car should be clean before you even get out the paint then the car shouldn't really need washing for a few days anyway, should it?

This is probably something you should read before you go looking for any paint.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived