LegacyGT.com

Vehicle Prep Concerns

chinchy

Hey all! Just a quick question. I purchased my new 05 Leg GT 5MT Sedan on Friday 8/20/04. When I got it, they hadn't prepped it at all since it was such short notice. It basically rolled off the truck the previous evening, dealer gave me a call the next morning, and I was there at noon. I guess they basically just pulled off the plastic on the seats and the white paint protector things, quick wash, etc. So anyways, I'm noticing things like: - Security system delivered in valet mode. No problem, I activated it. - AC is doing the cold/warm fluctuation. Not that big a deal, I read the thread about the AC, adn I'll just have the dealer check it over to make sure everything's still good. - No windshield washer fluid (not sure if they normally add it or not). - I think my tires are not fully inflated to spec. I'll wait until they're cold and check em. - Car has a slight drift towards the right. I'm hoping it's attributed to the above. My question is, I'm going to take it to the dealer and have them check everything out (also cuz I'm waiting to have them install the short throw shifter). Is there anything else I should be looking for to make sure everything's fine? I'm not sure what normally goes on for the dealer prep portion. Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks!

Guest *Jedimaster*
Dealer prep includes all the stuff you mentioned that they didn't do, apparently because of time constraints. They also usually do a really crappy job of washing the car.

Speaking of crappy washing jobs... You know what totally pisses me off? The salesman I had was first of all a terrible one. He didn't know anything about the cars at all, not even what trim levels were available on the Legacy (hahah he thought it only came as a Limited). Nor how to drive stick shift. Anyways, what really took the cake was when I got the car, there was a small blemish that looked like a scratch. I tried to gently feel it to see if it was raised up (i.e. something on the paint that can be removed) or a paint chip. I casually mentioned it to the salesman, and he goes into the building, comes out with a cloth that is obviously not used for wiping cars (i.e. it is like the hotel towels that have the little knobs/knots in it) with some greenish goop on it and proceeds to start rubbing at the spot. Well sure enough the spot goes away. But he leaves behind a large rub/swirl mark in the paint. It made me so pissed. This is the same dude that was originally trying to show me a GT Limited when I was first test driving the GT, and then proceeds to accelerate to like 50 mph in the span of 2 blocks, revving high, dumping the clutch, and chirping the tires going into second gear, and then chirping them again going into 3rd. He even had the balls to try and sell me that car. Edit: forgot to mention that I had to go over that spot with P21S Gloss enhancing paintwork cleanser, then apply P21S Concours-look carnauba wax, then 2 more rounds of the cleanser, and then another round of the wax. It looks better now, but I know it's still there.

[quote name='GardenWeasel']I saw my car the day it arrived on the truck. When I picked it up the following day, it had been nicely prepped and detailed.[/quote] Same here... Then, drove it around for a little while and parked it overnight. Washed and waxed it (alongside a nice claybar application) yesterday and it is nice and smooth. Claybars seem to remove EVERYTHING that you can imagine...so thanks to all on the forums for providing this info. Later, i.

Yeah, I'd go back and demand a proper PDI. You've paid for those services in the price of your vehicle. The washer fluid, tire pressure, AC adjustment -- all of those should have been done. I'm sure Subaru of America would have a cow if they heard about dealers not selling their vehicles with proper PDI. Call 1-800-SUBARU3 and get a case going if the dealer isn't cooperative. Ken

check out the alignment. i noticed my steering wheel was off alignment, and my car was drifting right. the service guy said my alignment was off (you think a new car wouldnt have this problem) and that i wouldnt notice it until i wore the tires down more. its all good though, its fixed and runs well.

[quote name='Ken S']Yeah, I'd go back and demand a proper PDI. You've paid for those services in the price of your vehicle. The washer fluid, tire pressure, AC adjustment -- all of those should have been done. I'm sure Subaru of America would have a cow if they heard about dealers not selling their vehicles with proper PDI. Call 1-800-SUBARU3 and get a case going if the dealer isn't cooperative. Ken[/quote] Absolutely. PDI on the car is 1100 in Canada. I wouldn't just give that kind of money away. They should properly prep your car if you're paying for it. No matter how eager you are to get it.

• 2 weeks later...
Update on my car. I brought it in to check the issues. According to them, the alignment issue was solved by rotating and balancing the tires. I responded that that was supposed to have been done before I got the car. They said that it should have been done at the factory, but that they don't know how it was missed.

Update #2. I just went to go pick up the car. The alignment issue is not resolved. I am very unsatisfied. On top of that, in the process of installing the short throw shifter and fixing my gas tank, they left grease marks all over my car, AND they scratched my center console and stereo buttons. Do NOT deal with Diablo Mazda Subaru.

[quote name='chinchy']Update #2. I just went to go pick up the car. The alignment issue is not resolved. I am very unsatisfied. On top of that, in the process of installing the short throw shifter and fixing my gas tank, they left grease marks all over my car, AND they scratched my center console and stereo buttons. Do NOT deal with Diablo Mazda Subaru.[/quote] I tell you, it never fails to amaze me when a dealer can screw up something simple like installing the ST shifter. They must be morons, or nor give a crap about your car to scratch up the center console. It's really not hard to do it right and be careful. I hope they are buying you new interior parts. Craig

Archived