LegacyGT.com

5MT drag strip technique

Beanboy

Yes, Subaru manual transmission aren't the happiest shifting quickly.

Drove around last night trying to shift consistently fast. Other than a little more resistance (work those those syncros) it felt decent. Found that just using fingers to provide the force necessary to shift helped me know when the car was happiest going into the next gear.

Still not used to how quickly 1st and 2nd disappear though. :D

For those folks who have hit the track and have had good times... Care to share any tips or suggestions? Will be hitting the drag strip for the first time (and probably only time for a while) with the LGT in a couple of months. Thanks!

-B

Only been to the track a couple of times, but I know what you mean about 1st and 2nd :icon_bigg

I tried a few different techniques, but my most successful was: 4,500 rpm, quickly engage the clutch, but without dumping it. Hold on for dear life, and as soon as I hit 6,500 rpm, shift into 2nd which drops you back down to about 4,000 rpm again. Then repeat twice more, I found 3rd was the trickiest to hit consistently, but I'm getting better.

Can't wait for the local track to open up again next month and get some more runs in.

I've found launching isn't too bad. On the street I don't go all out, but from around 3K-4K I quickly release clutch as soon as car moves and floor the gas. Consistent launches without clutch stink.

The actual gear shifting is where I feel that I'm slow, at least compared to my old vehicles.

-B

Archived