LegacyGT.com

Mechanical Noob

Whats the best way to learn how to fix and maintain your own vehicles with the least probability of breaking everything. I want to learn the ins and out of autos =, but get frustrated sometimes because I dont have anyone to guide me through things.

Join your local enthusiast club, and go to "install days."

There's usually more than one vehicle being worked on, and things can be as simple as changing one's oil to as complicated as installing a whole new turbo setup (or tearing down an engine!).

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Bahhh... just start taking stuff apart and hope that it all goes back together! ;) I'm only half kidding. You can learn by doing. Try to start with basic stuff like fluid changes and such and move up to brakes and suspension and as you gain knowledge and confidence you can go on to more and more complex procedures.

Know when something is beyond you and either get help or pay a pro, but while it is being done, watch and learn. Do not bite off more than you can chew, but don't be afraid to try either. Also, if the job requires a tool, go out and get it. There is nothing more frustrating than messing up or taking way too long because you were too cheap to buy a tool. Speaking of frustration, take your time. Don't rush and don't get frustrated because a job took a little longer than you hoped.

I hope my rambling made some sense. It's basically how I learned to work on cars. I have yet to take something apart that I couldn't get to go back together (eventually!) :lol:

Say what????!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Did a spring install for a member of this board. Spring compressors are one of the tools that I don't have. Anyways, we wrapped up the stock assembled struts in a moving blanket and while a couple guys stood on the ends of the blanket to keep it tightly wrapped, I loosened the retaining nut off the shock rod with an impact gun. The blanket nicely deadened the spring as the top hat came off. All fingers and toes accounted for. Really not a big deal since the stock strut assemblies don't have much preload.

^^^ Yikes! While I can appreciated the innovative solution to your problem, I'm not sure that's the kind of story you should be sharing with a self-proclaimed "Mechanical Noob"!

I'll second the local car club 'install days' as a good way to get started. Or you can do what I did: buy a Miata! It's a great car to learn on as it's pretty easy to work on and there are amazing step-by-step walkthroughs of pretty much everything available on miata.net. Basic oil change on that car is a little tricky, but once you've figured that out your confidence soars. Best advice ever: use the right tool for the right job.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Do what I did, buy an LGT......rip it apart, install everything possible you can afford, make it look insane......then sell it. Buy a new one and start over.....I'll tell ya it's much easier the 2nd time around ;)

(Note: I had to be saved more then once on the old LGT so it's always good to have friends around :D, never had any real problems minus a few leaks)

EDIT: oh and be ready to buy a lot of tools, every project I ran out to get some tool, I have a great collection now ;)

Also, don't forget to read the "Walk-Throughs" sections here on LGT.com! :D

Remember that as you see each of the Walk-Through Forum main pages (there are two such main headings), you should go to the very bottom of the page, on the left hand side, and click the radio-button that changes the posts that you see to "From the Beginning."

This will bring up the entire archive of past walkthrough posts, which is a Godsend for any newbie, be it a mechanical-freshman or even an experienced wrench who is getting to know his particular vehicle for the very first time. ;)

For example, the easy walkthroughs, such as the "how to change your engine oil" one, can easily be performed by the average mechanically-non-deficient :lol: newbie - provided a small investment (about $40) in tools and safety hardware is made (this will pay for itself with nearly just your very first oil change), and provided that you READ, RE-READ, and AGAIN READ the instructions to be sure that you didn't leave anything out.

Follow good instructions. Research any potential issues.

Use good common sense.

Have good safety equipment and decent tools at-hand.

Enjoy!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Of course, a moving blanket with a couple of guys standing on it can be considered a proper substitute for spring compressors... right? :lol: Hey it worked for me before :)

If you have Autozones on the west coast, I heard they rent out specialty tools.

^ Ooooooh.....that smarts! :lol:

Yes, I *still* love my silly DSM. :)

^ Like you said, bro, it's GREAT practice! :lol:

EDIT: oh and be ready to buy a lot of tools, every project I ran out to get some tool, I have a great collection now ;)

^^^ Hmmmm.... nice set of tools now eh Scans? Where in mass. did you say you were again?:rolleyes: Almost time for UP/DP CBE install.:icon_bigg

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Whats the best way to learn how to fix and maintain your own vehicles with the least probability of breaking everything. I want to learn the ins and out of autos =, but get frustrated sometimes because I dont have anyone to guide me through things.

Buy a big hammer and Take Lessons from Hogmeat.

Or you can enroll in a technical school as has been suggested.

Go to Sears for a reasonably complete set of tools. Get a manual. Clubs are great. Experiment. Do your own brakes, oil change and plugs. Fear not, almost anything on a car can be welded, duct taped or JB-welded... search for similar procedures changes or upgrades. There are lots on this site by some real good people. Remember, there's no mechanical problem that brute force and ignorance can't overcome.

Remember, there's no mechanical problem that brute force and ignorance can't overcome.

Or a hammer, adjustable wrench, and pliers (you already mentioned duct tape)! :lol:

Just so you know, I certainly do not advocate my moving blanket spring compressor technique to the uninitiated or anyone else for that matter. It was a bit of ghetto resourcefulness, that ended up working out just fine. I can thank the best teacher in the world for guiding me towards these "creative" techniques.... my Merkur XR4Ti's. If you guys with DSM's think your cars are mechanically delinquent... you ain't seen nothing! :lol: Having owned multiple XR4Ti's for about 10 years now, you end up figuring out how to fix stuff.

Archived