LegacyGT.com

Should I be concerned about purchasing a leftover 05 Legacy GT?

kevlmx

I've been considering the possibility of purchasing a Legacy GT wagon for the past couple of months. I have found a few leftovers. The rebates and dealer discounts bring the car into my budget. I do have some reservations about purchasing a car that's been sitting on the dealers lot for up to a year and a half. I start to wonder why the car is still there, if there is something wrong with it, etc. I know that it will still have the full warranty. Does anyone have any recent experience with their leftover? Is there anything I should look at/for? Help me feel better about this.

Thanks in advance.

Take it for a long test drive or even a 24hour test drive. I am sure they want to get rid of it bad. You should get anice deal.Look in the warranty forum. There you can see some problems that the car might have.

Denial is your best friend

I bought an 05 Outback XT in January - was great deal, especially if you're like me & put a bunch of miles per year on a car. In 6 weeks I've got almost 4,000 miles on it, zero problems so far :)

Mine happened to be a late build 05, but it wouldn't have mattered to me.

I picked up my 05 last week. I put about 36K a year on my car so being a 05 isn't an issue for me, more important was getting a great deal. You can get a new 05 for thousands less than a 06. All depends what you are after.

i got my 05 weds and love it, got a really good price on it. i actually KBB it and found it was worth 3000 more than what we payed for it. i wouldnt be much concerned about it.

Subaru is looseing money with it just sitting on the lot, so you might be able to get some extra goodies for free, like a sub woofer. if you deal good.

I love my car ... basically.

Mine sat in the delaership lot for a year. It still had all the plastic on, and it had 8 8miles on it. It was perfect on delivery, except for the defective windshield it has been pretty good to me. Almost 8K miles in about 6 months now.

X

---

I got my 05 GT over two weeks ago. It had 78 miles from customer test drives over the months. I got a great deal on it and have no mechanical issues so far. A few things you want to pay attention to. Brakes: since it's a left over and been driven by many testers, it's highly not in the proper break-in condition. I insisted the dealer to replace all rotors. They did. Someone mentioned earlier about the pain job. That time the dealer had two 05s left. One looked like crap and other looked (mine) perfect. This car has been out for two years now, so there are a few TSB. So you can have the dealer take care a few of those before taking the delivery. That'll save you some hassles later on. This forum is one the best forums in sharing info. Also check out www.thel7.com. I wish I saw these info. before picking up the car. The thing is the dealer wants to close the deal and they'll do a lot things you request prior. Have them write on paper though and sign. If you find things not to your satisfaction later, you're now handled by the Service department and they treat you like a step child. They drag their feet and this and that. So far I love the thing with a minor issue, rattles from door/dash. But I have too much fun right now with this Learjet.

I went and looked at the car yesterday. The paint is fine. My only issue with the condition was that the inside of the door jambs and under the hood was slightly dirty. There were only 26 miles on the car. The build date was June 04. One other question, should there be a VIN sticker on the passenger front quarter panel?

Had my '05 about a month now...8/'04 build date and 291 miles when I picked it up. No complaints so far...got a great deal and the dealer installed a spoiler for me as well as part of the purchase.

Don't sweat it, I bought two of them in the past couple months. One just last last week, both had under 25 miles and drive perfectly, 1400 miles on the white (hers) and 215 on the blue (his).

X2

Thanks to all who helped convince me. I put my deposit down tonight, picking it up Sat. I ended up with a Black LGT LTD wagon. It looks mean in black. I'm very pleased in general. The deal was great, the dealer/salesman couldn't have been nicer. Looking forward to Saturday.

Oooo. Nice choice. White with the black leather is not even offered in the 06 package. I wanted the leather, but decided against it since I did not like the seats that much. I will probably get aftermarkets, or black STI seats. Enjoy it. Give those 9E-92s hell!!

I got my wagon last year for 25,175 this was when they had 1500 rebate incentive...

You can calculate the best price on the car, this is how much the dealer pays on it, invoice - 3% MSRP (Subaru holdback - in New England is 4%) minus the incentives, which right now are 2000 for 05 models!!!!

Good luck haggling...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Congatulations on the wagon. I got the last (AFAIK) 05 MT LGT Wagon in Maine a short time ago. I was reluctant to part with my 02 Cobb stage 2 WRX, but I love the wagon (now TDC stage 1) even more.

Mine sat in the delaership lot for a year. It still had all the plastic on, and it had 8 8miles on it. It was perfect on delivery, except for the defective windshield it has been pretty good to me. Almost 8K miles in about 6 months now.

X

Mind if I ask what was up with your windshield? Was it damaged, or was it not installed correctly?

I ask because my Subaru has more windnoise around the windshield that I am used to in other cars. Dealer says its completely normal. No missing pieces or trim or anything. Otherwise, car is perfect. One person on here had his replaced because it wasn't installed correctly. But I see no TSB's, and the dealer says its fine.

It had a distortion right in the field of view of the driver. Everything looked distorted like looking through a wet piece of glass. It appeared that the middle plastic layer in the windshield had distorted.

I had to have them replace the windshield once, and then reinstall the gasket twice since the first time it curled.

There is a thread around here somewhere with pictures, but it has been perfect after it was fixed correctly. No problems so far. **Knock On Wood**

X

---

Archived