LegacyGT.com

Sportshift question

Sube555 - Thanks for the Tech Reference thread. I'm working on memorizing the whole thing. I'm looking for more info on the AT in the 2.5i. Specifically the sport shift feature. How does it work? Why does it take so long to upshift? I am embarrassed to admit it, but I hit redline in my car on the test drive because I didn't time the upshift properly. I blame the WRC for that one really. You see those guys grab the shifter and they immediatley jump from gear to gear. I know those aren't AT trannies, but man I want that kind of responsiveness. Need input.

[quote name='D-2.5-GT']if you want that type of response, you are really only going to get it from the 5MT. As for the sportshift, i have no idea...manual all the way[/quote] I hear ya. I realize the AT is not going to come close to the abilities of a MT, I'm just hoping to understand it a little better if I can't improve it. I don't miss a MT at all during 1-2 hour commute each way.

Ferrari, BMW, Lambo, Mercedes etc etc have spent millions upon millions of dollars to perfect their transmissions system to the point that they are almost as quick as the F1 and LeMans cars. Subaru on the other hand has also spent millions on their transmission for their WRC Cars but they havent rolled this out to mainstream as of yet. Im sure you will see the times tumble in Sportsmode when this happens. Its not a question of IF, its a question of WHEN???? It wont take you long to get a hang of the 5EAT sportsmode and then you can drive the way it will let you. Take another test drive and see how you go. Adam.

If my information is correct the 5EAT in the 2.5i is not the same as the 5EAT Sports Shift in the GT. But the one in the GT is pretty quick you just have to plan your shift about 2-300 rpm before the shift, essentially if you plan a redline shift in the GT you should shift it at 6000 rpm. At least so far this is what I have seen. It does get better and bettet as it gets older.

Actually, it is a 4EAT in the 2.5i. I'm hoping we will learn to work together well. I'm not touching manual mode or sport mode again until I finish the break in. You guys think it's tough to keep it under 4K in the GT, try it in my car.

I find that if you're using the console shifter versus the buttons on the steering wheel it's a little quicker, especially if you're going thru some twisties. Hard to use those buttons when the steering wheel is upside down! :o My Audi was a 5MT. It's nice to just put the Sube in D and cruise around. Now if I was RACING or something then I'd want the 5MT.

The upshift takes long partially because the transmission control unit (TCU) is trying to minimize drivetrain shock. One thing I have noticed with Sportshift upshifts are that it's very quick when you're compression breaking downhill. When I'm going down a steep hill in "2" and the engine is up past 4K rpm, you'll get an almost instantaneous response when hitting either the button or shift column to go to "3". Ken

I don't think they have steep hills or much on the way of twisties in Florida folks. :P Helfrick, I have been trying to find time to complete the tech info section and both understand all of the crucial subsystems as well as find a way to convey to the members and guests how they work so you guys can understand them as well. From what I remember, I believe the 4EAT unit is a bit slower than the 5EAT as the 4EAT, which includes Sportshift is beically still the standard ol 4EAT with the manumatic feature. I am not fully aware of how the Sportshift works, but to the best of my knowledge, it sort of overrides the TCU and gives gear selection input to hold gears longer, etc, while still making fairly smooth changes with the drivetrain.

[quote name='SUBE555']I don't think they have steep hills or much on the way of twisties in Florida folks. :P [/quote] A very astute observation. :D Why don't you have this done NOW? It's not like the car is all that new. Seriously though, I appreciate the information you have provided so far and eagerly await more. First time I've heard of a TCU. All the reading I've done so far has never mentioned flashing or reprogramming one. I guess it would be safe to assume that it is the way it is and will remain so.

I don't know of anyone who flashes traction control computers. I am more of a manual guy myself, so I'll leave the Auto details up to those more in the know until I am knowledgable enough to give you a straight-forward answer. I know some people send their trannys to a place called Level 10 I think to make them more responsive, but I can't tell you what they all do, but i can tell you it isn't cheap by any means.

Archived