LegacyGT.com

Hardwired V1 with remote display?

johnAWD

I'm looking for ideas on where to mount the remote display of my Valentine 1. It looks as though it'll fit in the ashtray cubby if I remove the tray itself, or maybe in the cubby above the radio.

Not sure where - anyone else got ideas, or better yet, pictures? Car is an 05 LGT.

I have a bracket that puts the remote just at the lower edge of the instruement cluster on the left side. It is still within my line of sight so I can see the lights without having to look down and I can easily reach the mute button. Personally I think it is kind of stupid to mount it down low. The last thing you want to do is to take your eyes off the road and look down to see where the arrows are pointing when you possibly have a speed trap rapidly approaching.

How big is the unit? I have a passport 8500x50 with the detached silencer button which is in my ash tray - I think this is a perfect place for it since I can just touch it right there with my hand on the shifter... but I don't know if the remote display for your V1 is bigger or not - either way let us know, I'm thinking about upgrading to a V1 after I recoup from the $$$ of my turbo install... haha

Would you do me a favor and take a picture of this? I'm used to having the remote display out of direct line of sight, as that's how it was mounted in my A4 for the past few years.

I have a bracket that puts the remote just at the lower edge of the instruement cluster on the left side. It is still within my line of sight so I can see the lights without having to look down and I can easily reach the mute button. Personally I think it is kind of stupid to mount it down low. The last thing you want to do is to take your eyes off the road and look down to see where the arrows are pointing when you possibly have a speed trap rapidly approaching.

Here's a picture of where the remote display sits on my dash. The main unit is between the headliner and the rear view mirror. It is hardwire off the autodimming mirror cable harness.

dash.JPG.917690172fa215dc7fbca69ab5b12e47.JPG

On my STi, I put the remote display centered on the steering column cover (in front of the parking light switch).

-Mike-

I agree with the center of the steering column. I had mine here on my 2003 Silverado, and I will be putting it here on my 06 Leggy. You want to "watch it", without looking away from the road too much. Valentine1 Rocks!:icon_bigg

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

I just received mine this morning....IT IS AMAZING!!! I ordered the display a few days after i ordered the unit. I plan on mounting it in the cubby or in the ashtray.

A question for Scotty:

How did you manage to mount the V1 between the headliner and the rear-view? B/c i tried to do it but it kept on falling off due to the perforated film on the windshield.

How did you manage to mount the V1 between the headliner and the rear-view? B/c i tried to do it but it kept on falling off due to the perforated film on the windshield.

I used a rectangular piece of 3M clear bra film to create a smooth surface for the suction cups to mount to.

-Mike-

I use a piece of clear packing tape. Make sure you clean the glass first or it won't hold well and don't touch the center of the tape since your finger have oils that will make it not stick. I also push the mirror all the way up to help hold it, not really needed but just extra precaution.

Like I mentioned, the last thing you want to do is mount the remote display out of your line of sight. The first week of owning a V1, you will spend most of the time staring at the display whenever it goes off. You will know where every automatic door opener is in your route. I ended up turning off the frequencies that aren't used by the local LE.

Another question:

Do you have it positioned to where the front-facing part of the radar is "looking" through the perforation or right under it?

Thanks to all of you for your help!!

I read somewhere that putting the detector behind UV protection like that will impede it's ability & range. Not sure if there's anything to it.

I've got my V1 mounted to the top of the rearview with Velcro, and the remote display mounted to the left lower corner of the instrument cluster with Velcro also. I hardwire the cables, but migrate the protection to my various vehicles. I position the mirror as low as possible, place the V1 on top with the rubberbabybuggybumper touching the glass, then slightly move the mirror up to put a sort of preload on the V1.

BTW, I have been told that in CA it is illegal to mount anything to the front windshield glass by any means, including suction cups. Mounting directly to the rearview avoids this situation, and mounting with the mirror in its lowest postion misses the UV strip. My .02.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Hmm, that's true. It's under CVC 26708, but who cares since you are already breaking CVC 22348. With the V1 tucked up high, no one will see it anyways because the dotted portion makes it difficult to see the cups. As for as impedence, any material will impede the receiver, but it's not enough to matter. You can have it behind the sun visors and it will still work quite effectively.

In NJ, I got a ticket for hanging a parking pass from the rear view mirror. They can cite you for anything if they feel like it.

BTW, I have been told that in CA it is illegal to mount anything to the front windshield glass by any means,

BTW, I have been told that in CA it is illegal to mount anything to the front windshield glass by any means, including suction cups.

I'm not sure of the validity of this, as the FastTrak toll transponder is to be mounted high up on the windshield near the rearview mirror, or on the lower corner of the glass (with provided velcro). Also, I've had my V1 mounted via suction cups on the windshield for over 5 years without any problems (even when pulled over).

-Mike-

Same law, exemptions:

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center

uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that

is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either

of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of

the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped

with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on

public or private roads or facilities.

Same law, exemptions:

And how are people to know these stupid laws! Stupid law makers. :mad: They come up with some stupid law that doesn't make sense, ensure the public knows nothing about it, and then enforce it. Stupid, just plain stupid! :rolleyes:

Archived