LegacyGT.com

Finally got the GT last night...

inthedeck

[quote name='llmask']DAMN IT IM STILL WAITING FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! inthedeck is one lucky SOB - lol happy for u man, and im going to bug you for pointers on waxin the car.[/quote] How "special" a special order did you get..? Most dealers keep saying that they can get the car within 2-3 days. Is it a Ltd. package with a color outside of black or silver with AT.?
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

[quote name='inthedeck']Ridge...nope, wasn't me. I was still in the shower at that time...hehe. Must have been another with a silver one. I usually drive up north, to Purchase...via 95 to 287. I HATE the hutch north at that time in the morning...it's SOOOO SLOWWWW! :evil: Later, i.[/quote] It was really early for me too. I was headed up to Bridgeport. Come to think of it, im not even sure if it was even a GT or GT LTD....
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

[quote name='inthedeck'] Took it out for a drive...and it was nice. I am following the same break-in method I did for the WRX...and so far so good. It's hard, but hey, initial care will lead to a lifetime worth of trouble free motoring. Keeping RPM's below 4K, car under 60 MPH, and slipping the clutch (esp. in 1st), etc. [/quote] I don't get it.... I have built about 5 subaru engines and rebuilt my fathers race bike engine about 10 times. I understand how some people still believe a break in period still exists for cars built today. To each their own. But I just re-read the owners manual again, says NOTHING about keeping it under 60mph. I dont understand this concept. I subscribe to this forum: [url]www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm[/url] and I has worked great for everything I have done. Now in all seriousness, break in your motor to what you believe, thats fine. Im not here to discuss that. Please someone tell me why, oh why would you keep the car under 60mph for the first 500-1000 miles? its unsafe and makes NOOOOO sense. :roll:

[quote name='shipjumper'] Please someone tell me why, oh why would you keep the car under 60mph for the first 500-1000 miles? its unsafe and makes NOOOOO sense. :roll:[/quote] Why would you say that it is unsafe? I personally did the same thing with my WRX, and never had any issues with that? It's only 1000 miles anyway...and I was just attempting to 'follow' the speed limits in NY for once. Max is 55...so I think going 60 isn't TOO bad. I have varied my speed a bit btwn 55 - 65 mph. Anyway, to each their own with the break in. Now that I am passed the 300 mile mark, I can start the 'next' level of break in, which is to push it a little more in the lower end of the RPM band. Has worked for me, and I am alright with that. Later, i

two reasons, unsafe for all the other drivers doing 10-15mph faster than you, and two, what if you need to get out of the way of something? then is it all blown away? all the manual says is light accelleration within 1000 miles. I see nowhere about under 60mph. and what is the reasoning behind it? to wear in bearings? have you ever seen bearings? the are perfect speherical or cylinderical depending on the type. nothing to break in there. thats the onely thing that could change with speed... speed and RPMs are always different with different gears. so where oh where does speed (MPH) work into a break in cycle?

[quote name='shipjumper']two reasons, unsafe for all the other drivers doing 10-15mph faster than you, and two, what if you need to get out of the way of something? then is it all blown away? all the manual says is light accelleration within 1000 miles. I see nowhere about under 60mph. and what is the reasoning behind it? to wear in bearings? have you ever seen bearings? the are perfect speherical or cylinderical depending on the type. nothing to break in there. thats the onely thing that could change with speed... speed and RPMs are always different with different gears. so where oh where does speed (MPH) work into a break in cycle?[/quote] As for safety, they should slow down. Anyway, I drive in the right lane, and vary the MPH while driving. I am not saying people should/should not keep it at or around 60 MPH. That's just my choice, and what I have done with all the new cars that I have owned. I owned a Dodge Stratus ES ('95) with a 5 speed, broke it in the same way, and it lasted me 136000 miles. Hence, I don't see where your argument is going to convince me otherwise. As for getting out of the way...I have run into the situation of having to do that...with stupid people who don't know how to 'yield' correctly when entering the NYS highway system. For that, I have the 5MT, and have dropped down a gear to 'kick it up a notch.' NO problem to me...just wish that stupid drivers would learn!!! :roll: Oh well, like I said, to each their own. I will go about it as I will. I am sure the car will be fine. Later, i

Why not keep it under 60MPH? What's wrong with doing that, besides what you mentioned earlier? I see no harm in it...and it doesn't heat everything up to the 'extremes' during early break-in. It's something that I learned from my father, as he is always wanting to keep cars under 60 MPH for their first few thousand. I have followed, to the extent that I keep it under 60MPH for the first thousand. Then, gradually start raising the speed where I see fit. I mean, what's wrong with following the speed limit? Maybe Drift Monkey can chime in here, and explain why he also kept it under 60 MPH during break-in, in Texas, nonetheless...where according to him traffic is fairly heavy as well. Oh well..I hope it answers some of your questions... i.

theres no harm in doing it, but theres no reason to. theres still no answer to why people do this on that other thread. you have no info or evidence why this is a good idea / practice! someone tell me why its NEEDED to keep it under 60mph?!?!?! everyones answers are "cause i was told" or "my father did this" engines have changed, what data supports keeping it under 60? the manual dosent... sounds like an "old wives tale to me" some one tell me! it really raises the BS flag to me...

Like I said...it's what I choose to do. Maybe there is no empirical data that supports this...but again, what difference does it make? Again, I am STILL following the speed limits, aren't I? At least for 'break-in' that is. Maybe you don't like to do that...hey, that's your chioce. I never said there was anything wrong with people going 80-90 MPH in their cars, before it's broken in, but what harm is done keeping it under 60? The rest of the time, I shift at about 4K rpm, and use the gears to do so -- both up and down. I see nothing wrong with this...and I don't feel the 'stutter' that people are speaking about. I am teaching the computer what I like to do...and that's how it will learn. Once the 1K mark hits, it will 'know' what I like to do, down low, so the top end will then begin to learn at that point. It's only a matter of time, till it starts learning the potential of the top end. Later, i.

Archived