LegacyGT.com

Install help: MA North Shore... Please!

sportwagon

INSTALL HELP PLEASE... NORTH SHORE

I HAVE...

Springs.... pink... I want to start thinking about finally installing them! They're STi Legacy springs and also cusco F/R sways... and they aren't making my garage handle any better... maybe they'll make my car handle better!

Anyone got a spring compressor and a day to kill? I live in Marblehead. I have a garage with tools and other necessities and would be willing to compensate anyone willing to help, or volunteer their time or expertise, in whatever way they might please (no sexual favors, unless you're a hot chick)... Beer, cash, parts... I'm a generous person!

If you are confident with the mod, but don't have a spring compressor... I'd rent one! I'm just too nervous to take on the task by myself, especially with my baby (that gets me to & from work)... I'm not a mechanical idiot, I'm fairly competant, I just have no experience with suspension modding, besides strut bars... but they don't count!

OR

Name of a good installer on the North Shore or Beantown that won't cost more than the springs themselves cost!

There are a couple of good garages in Marbledead. But I have had Peabody Sunoco do a lot of work on my 97 Subarus. They're very reasonable, but any business is going to charge $60+ an hour.

Otherwise, check the MechanX files on CarTalk. Don't you need to get the car aligned after the change anyway?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Normally, I would volunteer to lend a hand, but timing is everything, and I have very little of it these days (with a day job and a startup company.) Still, I have done springs, struts, and sways on my old car, and they are not that hard. I used spring compressors from Autozone (free rental) although the second time I tried using them, they gave me the useless non-strut-style compressors... so if you get a set from them, make sure they are used on the outside of the spring, as the ones that go in the center are useless.

On the other hand, if timing (and weather) works out (it's friggen cold out there!), I certainly could lend a hand. Do you have an air compressor and impact wrench, and breaker bars and such? I know I needed these on my old install...

Lastly, if you don't want to bother with doing it yourself after all, I can HIGHLY recommend a shop in Gloucester where I get excellent service and help. Heck, sometimes he lets me borrow his shop on a weekend day (when he's closed) and lets me use his tools, lift, etc. He has a great spring compressor, too, among other things (it's a garage, after all.) The shop is "Baron's Garage" in Gloucester. The guy is really cool... tell him Schwinn (he knows me from my old car - Mazda MX6) sent you... I have never seen him overcharge ANYONE for anything. I also use him when I screw up something on my car :p

schwinn- thanks... Gloucester isn't that far.... it's definitely an option! I think that any shop that's gonna do the job would cost at least 200 bucks... Not that it is an easy job, or a quick one. It seems as though it could be much more cost effective to get a compressor, a case of beers, some pizza, and give a small monetary "donation" to a couple of experienced forum members that would be willing to spend a morning in my garage working on a car that they are passionate about (even if it isn't their particular car)... I've helped members from naisoc and even legacygt with their cars... mostly stereo and gauges, etc... which I've got an abundance of experience and knowledge on... and I'd do it again in a second... Most people can manage with me only describing something specific in a post, but with something as critical as my car's suspension, I want, or even need, to have an extra hand or two (along with a knoweledgable brain working those hands) to ensure that I'm driving my car to work on Monday.

-No I don't have a compressor... or impact wrench... I've got everythine else... breakers, a torque wrench.... I've even got a Subaru powered pressure washer.... but I should have bought a compressor instead! Oh well! If i have to pay to get it done, that's that! I was hoping to spend the 200 on endlinks, which I'm assuming i will need to fit the swaybars on the car once it is lowered!

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'm off the hook? Just kidding... let me know what you decide.

As for the shop, you might want to give a call anyway... you never know. He's really good with pricing... I'm curious to know what he would charge anyway.

Archived