LegacyGT.com

wiper problem?

Did a quick search on this and didn't find anything, so forgive me if this has been covered, Just turned 7k miles and noticed something interesting on my wipers. When I want to manually "sweep" the wipers (not sure of the proper term for this, maybe "mist"?), and I pull and release the stalk too fast, the wipers will only move a few inches and stop. No big deal, just pull the stalk again and they will do the rest of the sweep. However, there have been a few times when set to intermittent where it will do the sweep, but instead of stopping when they get back to the "rest" position, they will come back up a few inches like described above. Anyone else seen this?

Mine does the exact same thing, if I don't hold the level in quite long enough the wipers just move a couple inches and then stop. I've only had one occassion when then they didn't return to full stow position following a sweep. That was actually just a couple days ago.

I don't get to use my wipers for much other than the occassional spray-clean or dew clearing, haven' t gotten much rain this year.

I noticed that my 05 LGT wagon does exactly the same thing if I do a quick pull on the wiper stalk. I've trained my finger to hold the stalk for a half count and it works perfectly. Dunno why it won't do a complete sweep with just the momentary pull.

Oh well...it's nothing a little bit of muscle memory didn't cure.

Most wiper systems exhibit this condition. The park mechanism is a simple brass contact ring with a small gap in it. When you turn off the wipers, the contact ring will maintain power to the motor until the it rotates around to the gap, located at the park position. Once the contact hits the gap, power is removed entirely, and the motor stops.

The gap can't be too big, or the wipers would be able to park in too large an area. Make the gap too small, and you risk having the contact jump the gap and go around for another sweep. So you make the gap just big enough so that it parks properly most of the time, but once in a while stops a little further into the gap, and parks a little higher.

I would take periodic "high-parking" over continuous operation any day.

Each and every subaru I have owned has done this. I have asked a few dealiers and none new the answer. I asked a subaru master tech and he said that it was subaru's form of heated wipers. Since they have to deal with lots of cold in areas, they needed to find a way to do this. He said that he learned this from his mater tech training.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Archived