LegacyGT.com

potentially dangerous 'surging'

powbmps

I have experienced this several times, the most recent time being this morning while I was waiting at a tollbooth. It is most noticeable in stop and go traffic. I give the car just enough gas to get moving, take my foot off the gas and before I push the clutch back in, the motor will continue to rev up to between 2000 and 2500 rpm's and the car lurches forward. If I don't get right on the clutch and brake I run the risk of rear ending the car in front of me. I mentioned it to the dealer this afternoon while I was getting my oil changed. The tech told me that he just came back from some Subaru event where he heard of the problem. He said that there is some sort of speed sensor associated with the sunroof. He suggested that I keep my sunroof closed when in stop and go traffic to see if that solved the problem. :o (where is the WTF! emoticon?) My guess would have been something to do with the drive by wire throttle. Chris S.

I've never had a problem. Sunroof, that sounds like the oddest thing I've ever heard I think! I know the pedal gap isn't the widest and hitting the brake you can inadvertently grab the gas a little at the same time, but if the clutch is in and you are detatched from the drivetrain, there should be zero movement if you are at stop or other than braking/coasting movement. This just sounds way too bizzare!

[quote name='SUBE555']I've never had a problem. Sunroof, that sounds like the oddest thing I've ever heard I think! I know the pedal gap isn't the widest and hitting the brake you can inadvertently grab the gas a little at the same time, but if the clutch is in and you are detatched from the drivetrain, there should be zero movement if you are at stop or other than braking/coasting movement. This just sounds way too bizzare![/quote] man i don't know, that sunroof thing sounds crazy to me. I would agree on the pedal gap thing. When driving a buddies old truck, the same thing would happen from time to time. It was my size 14's catching the edge of the gas pedal along with the brake. -Nick

I've had the same problem on my old Contour SVT (as have other Contour owners). In our case, it was generally the IAC valve and Thottle Body needed cleaning. The IAC valves would gunk up and get stuck. It would get progressively worse over time (car would rev up to 4000-4500 RPMs - yikes!). Makes you look kinda silly when you are trying to inch along in traffic and your engine is revving like a mad mouse.

Some wierd stuff can happen with the way the cars are wired. The dome light fuse burned out in my 1993 Civic and the intermittent wipers would not work. What do the intermittent wipers have to do with the dome light ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Heh, even wierder - my first car was the much sought after '83 Buick Skylark Custom (with optional multi colored body panels and authentic fake wood trim...and a sliding bench seat). Anyway, I was driving through DC one night and hit a pothole. The radio went out. I later went to the post office that night and discovered the dome light was gone. My gf at the time tried to let me know I forgot an envelope, but she mentioned my horn was out too. Now that's some funky wiring.

[quote name='powbmps']I have experienced this several times, the most recent time being this morning while I was waiting at a tollbooth. It is most noticeable in stop and go traffic. I give the car just enough gas to get moving, take my foot off the gas and before I push the clutch back in, the motor will continue to rev up to between 2000 and 2500 rpm's and the car lurches forward. If I don't get right on the clutch and brake I run the risk of rear ending the car in front of me. I mentioned it to the dealer this afternoon while I was getting my oil changed. The tech told me that he just came back from some Subaru event where he heard of the problem. He said that there is some sort of speed sensor associated with the sunroof. He suggested that I keep my sunroof closed when in stop and go traffic to see if that solved the problem. :o (where is the WTF! emoticon?) My guess would have been something to do with the drive by wire throttle. Chris S.[/quote] The sunroof suggestion seems absurd. My MT car doesn't have that surging, for the record, and I have been in stop and go traffic (unfortunately). My oddest electrical experience, such as it was, was hitting a road construction lip so hard (in my WRX wagon) that all the lights on the dash came on, and the car shut off. I re-started the car and drove home. All was fine, but boy, it was weird. :lol: Kevin

I believe I have experienced this also. This is how I can describe it. When stopped and trying to inch the car forward (only pressing gas slightly), you take your foot off the gas the car still holds the same throttle position for a second. It's noticable engouh to make you think "What the !?" before it stops. The best reason I could figure for this was that the ECU didn't want the car to stall so it kept a little throttle or there may be some kind of "stall prevention" there. But I'm no expert...

bmc, That sounds like the same thing. I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been. The rpms rise and the car surges forward during the brief time before I push the clutch in. The revs drop once the clutch is in. I have to say that I'm pretty annoyed with the response they gave me. It makes me lose faith in the service department. The tech was trying to tell me that there is a speed sensor that prevents the sunroof from opening above certain speeds to keep it from 'ripping off'. That would be pretty tough considering the sunroof retracts into the roof. More than likely there is a pedal position sensor or something that is not reading quite right. Chris S.

First, even if the sunroom was the culprit (it's not), why the heck should you be relegated to driving the car without use of the sunroof while in stop/go traffic. It's absurd. So, even if it 'is' the problem...it's a problem that Subaru should fix - not one that you should acclimate yourself to. Second, I would call the dealer again and ask for someone to suggest a more reasonable cause and then, possible solution. If they fail to, I would ask for a way for you to be put in contact with Subaru proper. Your dealer's response was rather dismissive, meaning that they prefer to not get involved until they have to. Otherwise, he would have told you (based on the Subaru meeting) that you should bring your car in and have some sensors checked out. He may have been nice...but it appears he was in no hurry to be as helpful as he could have been. If it 'is' a safety issue, from your perspective, I suggest that you forward that concern on to them because (as you could state) you would hold Subaru liable for any accident caused by the 'auto-revving'. At least ask them to put your concern in writing so if you do have an 'event' related accident - it's documented. Have you kept your sunroof closed and continued to have symptoms? Once (when) that is eliminated, it's time to have them take your concern more seriously...or take it to Subaru. I assure you that they do not want to be liable for any such surge that caused an accident. Lawsuits, recalls, etc. etc..., they 'will' take care of you if they are apprised of your situation.

Archived