LegacyGT.com

GTB ECU reading and reprogramming

Chazzman_bm

I've got a 1997 Legacy GTB (JDM twin turbo EJ20) and I want to read and understand the contents of my ECU. Why? So I can tweak it to my liking. The TT is a bit of a peculiar beast in the way it delivers power (the dreaded valley of death) right in the middle of the reve range. I've also read that it has choice of 4 'modes' depending on the way you drive (may not be true). My immediate goal is to understand the programming, and modify the mapping to gain more control and increase its torque. So, that's what I want to do, has anyone got any suggestions how I can do it? I've tried the folks at Ecutek but they only do post 99 ECUs. Cheers.

Well, there are indeed a variety of ECU options for the BD/BG series, but none are cheap nor easy. Most are in the form of complete ECU replacements, such as by Prova, which feature a different map for a/f ratios and boost. And as far as getting rid of VOD, not much luck. Your car has a couple of cheap tuning areas, though. If you have the cheap, plastic L-shaped blow-off valve attached to the TMIC by a hose, replace that with a aftermarket BOV and rediscover all that boost you've been bleeding off. ;) I managed to reduce VOD on my 96 twin turbo with an adjustable vent to atmos BOV and fujitsubo exhaust, high-flow panel filter. To be utterly honest, the Prova ECU didn't do anywhere near the gains of the other bits, and I wouldn't go down that path again. Cheers Paul Hansen

Not so great for the UK - either option is looking for 100 octane. The dreaded det can come knocking coz they are tuned for perfomance... Sorry, but no really safe answer from me that is easy. I know of one bunch who can do a mean tune via sub-com on that era car (and just got 50ps extra in a 20 minute tune sesh - no det either on 100 RON). Sadly they are a heck of a long way away from Scotland!! <wrong continent actually> Sorry not to be able to help...

Archived