LegacyGT.com

Oil in spark plug wells?

I just got a 2000 LGT Sedan 2 weeks ago, and today I decided to check the spark plugs. I removed the front-most passenger side plug, and to my surprise the top of the plug wire was covered in oil. The long part of the wire wasn't, but the top part that seals and the ring around the top of the spark plug well was covered in oil. Spark plug was clean, no oil on it. I've done some research, and have seen that this could be a Valve Cover Gasket or a Spark Plug Gasket, or both. Has anybody else had this problem? Just looking for some suggestions, I'm taking it to the dealership where I bought it to have them look at it this week, and I don't want them telling me it's something more than it really could be.

Classic Valve Cover gasket/spark plug o-ring gasket leak. Easy to fix and it looks like the dealer is going to do it for you. I presume these are Subaru techs doing the work? Check it over very carefully if not.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

100k = 100,000 mile service. It's a biggy and you should haggle with them since you are close and you just bought the car. Also take it to a subaru dealership and check to see if you have had the conditioner put in the coolant to prevent the headgasket problem.

Recall/Service plans that affected my 00 Wagon which I think you should check out.

Service Campaign Number WXV79-Engine Control Module

Engine Cooling System Conditioner:

Subaru of America, Inc. has determined that, over time, your vehicle may develop small external coolant leaks at engine cylinder head gaskets. To prevent cylinder head gasket leaks from developing or to correct existing leaks, a special Subaru Cooling System Conditioner should be added to affected vehicle cooling systems. Official Owner Notification letters will be mailed to all affected customers starting in late February and continuing through May of 2004. Once you receive your letter in the mail, you should contact your Subaru dealer for an appointment to have the Subaru Cooling System Conditioner added at no cost to you. Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your vehicle's proper operation.

Just an FYI.

I had the Cooling System and Rust Proofing recall done last week, so I should be good with that. And I'll look into that 100k maintenance. I've haggled enough with that dealership, bought it from them used and they sold their Subaru dealership to another dealer a few years ago, so it's tough to get anything out of them.

Archived