LegacyGT.com

Replacing hail damaged roof?

icelatte

My 05 LGT sedan was a victim of last week's midwest weather. Roof, passenger side doors, trunk, hood, windshield - all dinged. The insurance company has set up a Cat tent so I won't have it assessed until next week.

I stopped by a body shop just to see what they thought they would do. They'd replace the hood, trunk, pull and paint the doors. As far as the roof, he thought it was too much to PDR (I'm goint to a PDR place to check that) and thought it would need to be replaced.

Question is - he thought the roof was separate from the body and they would replace just along the factory weld line. Looking at the car, I don't see how the roof and quarter panels could be one huge piece so would this be a kosher repair or are there other options?

Thanks

Chak

how many dents on the roof? do you have pics?

it could probably be repaired or skinned if necessary. the outer roof panel (skin) should be available as a separate piece. they just cut the bad portion away and re-skin w/ the new part.

check this out...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9054&highlight=hail+damage

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10415&highlight=hail+damage

i went through the same thing. had every body panel except of my hatch dented with hundreds of dents from a nasty hail storm in northern georgia.

took it to a very good body shop and had my hood and roof replaced. the hood is aluminum so you can't pdr it. the roof was dented so badly it had to be replaced. they did a great job cutting it out at factory welds and it looks like new. it is not that hard and is fairly often done - just need to find a reputable body shop. mine specialized in BMWs and they were careful and professional. i had to wait 3 weeks for new parts from subaru since it happened a year ago. our cars are still so new, there are probably no non-oem body parts available yet (which is good).

the pdr job on doors and side panels was ok, but it is always going to be impossible to take all of the dings out. at a certain angle, under right conditions you can clearly see were the dents were. if you can, have them replace all body panels rather than have them pdr'ed. if your insurance refuses to do that right away, make sure they understand that if pdr looks like shit, you will want them to r&r everything.

also, check your windshield for chips that might be too small to notice right away.

any questions, just ask. good luck and keep in mind that life goes on - it is just a car. mine was 3 weeks old with just over 5k miles on it :(

Thanks for the support guys.

Tytek, I looked at your threads when this first happened but its nice to know that the roof replacement went well. the body shop thought they would pull and paint the doors instead of pdr. He gave me the impression that in these large catastrophe scenarios, the adjusters just want to right the checks and move you out of the tent, and his shop becomes the negociator for you to get it done right. This place was recommended to me by another subaru guy so it makes me feel better that a roof replacement is OK.

I'll let you guys know how this ends up.

BTW, passenger side windows, moonroof, windshield and rear window all have multiple microcracks.

I had a small dent in my door and had it removed by a paintless dent removal company in my town. The dent was my fault, trying to get a tv into the car. It only cost me $110 for the dent and buffing. I'm luck, the owner is somebody my dad used to know so I got a little discount.

My roof looked just like yours after hail, and the PDR guy made it look perfect again. I had damage on the hood, roof, trunk, and doors, and it came out to be ~ $1000 total that insurance paid for comprehensive. I had a $100 deductable and they gave me an appearance allowance of $100 for one small peice of plastic that you can barely see that was not replaced.

If you find a good PDR person, they'll probably fix any door dings that you had before the hail too, so your car may come out better after all this. Good luck, and it CAN be fixed without anything major.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys.

Just a couple of thingys.

I have been a PDR Tech for 12 years now.

1) Aluminum anything can be repaired.

2) There are plenty of companys that will "save" you big bucks and even

let you pocket differences in what they charge and what the ins co.

pay.

95% of the time, you get what you pay for.

I have seen so many that want the quick pay and will cherry pick the cars

that come through the lines.....

The roof pics you posted should have been no problem.

it takes time to do a quality job... not many operate that way.

I might take two days to do one auto, but you can bet it will come out perfect. most of the other competitors do it in half to one third of my time and their work shows.

next time a storm comes........ sit back and wait.

the guys are busting their asses to get as many done in the shortest amt of time so they can chase the next storm.

you don't want them working on your car.

find a lexus i.e. high end dealership, and find out the name of the INDIVIDUAL who does their work. not just the company.

you can buy tools on ebay at a deal.

anyone can go around and say they can perform at some level.

bottom line..

anyone can buy a guitar.

find your SRV's.....

if i can help you guys out at all with any questions, try to guide you in the right direction ..... please let me know.

Devin

Archived