LegacyGT.com

Mike's (wrx2lgt) LGT on JTuned.com!

which probably means less safety?

actually probably not.

I doubt there is anything truly drastically different. But at 5mph... (bumper reflex test standard in the US) it is probably more likely to damage other parts besides just the bumper... cracked lights, dented hood or fenders, etc... fewer damaged parts at 5mph gets it a better rating, and a more favorable profile for the Gov't/Insurance institute, mainly due to insurance having to pay out less when not having to replace those parts as often. (=more insurance profits -> congressional lobbying.)

At higher speeds, it is all crush structure, so I doubt there is much of ANY difference in energy absorption, as the materials are all the same, but the aluminum bumper beam being in very slightly closer position to the radiator support. nearly indistinguishable, probably.

IIRC, ROW legacys got very good crash test ratings in various markets, as well as the US legacy being highly rated here.

And yes, ANY JDM bumper that has a shorter profile (less front overhang) needs the JDM-beam which sits closer to the radiator than the USDM. Same for the rear beam.

In 2005, you could get black or taupe interior on any exterior color Legacy GT. it was your choice/task to find one.

For 2006, they cut that. Black, red, and silver get black interiors, both blues and white get taupe interiors. Extremely poor move on SOA's part, IMHO. Just one of several, including axeing the 5MT from the Legacy GT wagon, and going with chrome headlights across the lineup, and some equipment detail choices with the Spec B that make it slightly harder to consider than it should have been.

We'll see if they learned their lesson for 07 or not, I guess.

And yes, ANY JDM bumper that has a shorter profile (less front overhang) needs the JDM-beam which sits closer to the radiator than the USDM. Same for the rear beam.

The jdm beam that I have doesnt sit any closer to the radiator. Do you have a different beam?:iam:

OK...

You know far more about it than I... is it just thinner then? I am genuinely curious...

I thought from pictures that I have seen that the JDM version was a similar beam, that mounted closer and didn't extend as far forward, but I guess it could simply be thinner...

It would be interesting to see the actual dimensional differences between JDM and USDM bumper beams in direct comparison.

Archived