LegacyGT.com

Stinking clutch rant

washburn33

I am sick of this stinking clutch crap. It is a freaking subaru. Show me a Lexus or Acura with the performance this car has for this price. Subaru had to cut costs somewhere, I'm glad it is on a part I can easily replace and was going to anyway. The complaints on this forum about the stinking clutch represent a mere fraction of a fraction of the people who bought the car. Subaru is not going to put money and effort into a fix, just to please a few overzealous throttle jockeys. GT stands for GRAND TOURING. It is a quick, quiet, comfortable, decent handling car, which is exactly what Subaru designed it for. If you want to make your Legacy GT into a Legacy STI, then you are going to have to step up to the plate and spend a few bucks. Thats why the STI cost ten grand more and a comparable Lexus costs fifteen to twenty grand more. By the way the car has a lot of torque. It will pull away from a stand still at idle. I think everyone is used to driving torqueless naturally aspirated Honda's. Then there is the dual mass flywheel. This is to satify all the NVH freaks out there. It does a great job of dampening the engine and clutch engaging noises, but it makes the clutch engagement feel numb. Basically, you can't have it all people. It is what it is, search the aftermarket for what you want it to be. I love my Legacy GT. It has some flaws, but definetly not ten to twenty thousand dollars worth. I know one thing, I can turn my legacy into a 400 horsepower BMW killer for a lot less that it would be to buy a BMW, without the high insurance rate, or poor reliability and not have a boy racer rice burner that attracts all the cops attention. It is what it is. If anyone has a manual, base model 05 GT they want to get rid of because of the stinky clutch, let me know, I have a couple friend who would love to take it off your hands.

Geez! seriously! don't know where that came from, but one thing I've learned is you can't please everyone. No one is happy unless they have something to complain about. No matter how much money they've spent. Once one person starts bitching, then others jump on the band wagon.

It's a car, you will have issues. Some people, (like myself) feel better when they can bitch about it.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I took my car to the dealer 2 days ago to address a bunch of common issues, one was the stink from the clutch. After the service mgr smelled it (because he went up an incline and slipped the clutch), the next day the dealer guys had the nerve and audacity to not only tell me but write it in the order that "Smells like a dead animal. Performed search but could not find dead animal." I could not believe it. I was laughing so hard. And no, it's no stupid dead animal. Idiots. They were serious too. I told them that it was obviously the clutch because it smelled only when slipping the clutch. They were like, "no, it doesn't smell like clutch, but like a dead animal." I laughed in their faces and left.

I'll post the rest of my rant elsewhere. ....

The clutch on the LGTs does stink when it slips, worse than other clutches.

Thats said, there have been defective pressure plates causing much more slip and thus much more stink than usual.

As well the LGT clutch, especially when coupled with a crappy pressure plate is finicky and easier to overheat due to lack of feel.

I had my defective pressure plate replaced after it started slipping while in gear at high speeds, since then my clutch has acted like it should and I rarely if ever get anymore stink, perhaps once in a blue moon in traffic.

Keep mentioning it to your dealer and when if something gets worse you can say, ive been complaining about this for months.

P

Archived