LegacyGT.com

Beam pattern of headlights

johnny0723

Like the other guys have said, this is "correct." :)

Our LGTs have excellent optics in its lighting system - we are lucky to have such defined beam pattern and cut-off. The flip side of this, though, is that for many drivers coming from older vehicles or from vehicles which do not have such superior lighting, the sharply demarcated cut-off pattern, especially the elevated right-side pattern, can produce quite a scare when they first pull their LGTs up against a garage door or retaining wall.

Don't worry, you're completely fine!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks for the info guys. My main concern is that I installed some xtec 5k HIDs in there and it seems to be very noticeable that the right headlight shines higher and to the right. Just wanted to make sure I didn't mess up the alignment during install. The exit signs and all other reflective things on the road shine really really bright, as if the headlight is shining directly on it. Anyone else experience this?

Well after installing the Xtec HID kit, I think the cut off is a bit too high on the passenger side of my car. When passing people now, their car is litterally flooded with light! Instead of the light usually cutting off at the window line with the H3s, it now extends past the window line and puts light inside the car cabins.

I'll wait till after I install the pinks and see how bad it it after that.

Older cars or not, the cut-off is too low for country road driving at night, at least from the I perspective.

^ That's precisely why proper "driving lights" are designed (and thus should be aimed) to supplement your HIGH beams. :)

This is in direct contrast to true "fog" pattern lights, or even supplemental low-beams.

For a dark country road, what you'd want is to get as much light on the road as possible, as far out as possible - while still maintaining a decently dark foreground so as to avoid oversaturation. This is where a combination of using your high-beams plus properly designed and aimed driving lights will perform best.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 month later...

So who can give a write up of how to adjust the passenger beam to be just a tad lower and maybe to the left a little? I got flashed the first time the other night and I felt really bad because it does look very distracting to oncoming cars. I pray I wont get pulled over by a cop.

ok...a write up...anyone???

Archived