LegacyGT.com

snow pwned me

SALT! Seriously, why not?

Just sprinkle it all over the piles, and it'll eat right down to it.

Lets see, $20 in salt, or 75 for FOB, 75 for chipped key, 75 for programming?

People say i'm dumb...

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

SALT! Seriously, why not?

Just sprinkle it all over the piles, and it'll eat right down to it.

Lets see, $20 in salt, or 75 for FOB, 75 for chipped key, 75 for programming?

People say i'm dumb...

really do you have to leave ones out that are that easy?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Id vote for just throwing hot water on the pile of snow. Instant meltage and it'll be cheaper than buying salt!

When you find the keys, just pull apart the kefob and make sure it completely dries out before use. No need to buy new keys and have them re-programmed, and at the most, you may need to buy a new FOB and have that reporgrammed, but I'm sure you can do that yourself.

Hook a garden hose to a hot water faucet or tap... spray down the snow. Get keys, use the salt for the resulting 2" thick sheet of ice.

+ 1 even better idea. Garden hose with a spray attachment. Hot water spray FTW!!

Salting is going to take you too long on a large mound of snow... depending on how large the mound is.

Holy crap, good news, I found the keys. The 50 degree weather today melted it enough, I started digging through the snow like a crack addict looking for food.

They were just poking out of one of the mounds in a fresh spot, If I would have waited another day they would be gone.

Thanks for all the suggestions... salt, hot water, fire, napalm, beer...

phew, now what should I do to dry off the fob and my garage door opener?

Hmmm.. napalm, fire, hairdryer

I would open the casings of the key fob and opener and let them drip dry.

gently remove excess water, with a paper towel. pat dont rub, or blow it off with compressed air. maybe hit up a radio shack and get some sorta electronics cleaner. best to clean it off before it drys. i would think

• 11 months later...
good luck having the remote work after a week in the snow. but man that sucks! know any friends with a metal detector?

That happened to me about 3 years ago during a blizzard....my girl friend tackled me knocking my key and remote clean out of pocket. :eek: I waited for about 1-2weeks and wammo there they were.....and the remote still worked....so don't worry to much about it they'll show up...

Archived