LegacyGT.com

Intercooler screen

Guest *Jedimaster*

I was just going to huck it in the woods, when my daughter who was 3 at the time started to cry that something might eat it. So we gave it a proper burial, short prayer, and a head stone. The scoop on the WRX did seem to injest quite alot of stuff besides just air (bugs, pebbles, birds.) Don't know how LGT scoop will perform in the long haul as it's profile is not as extreme. Sure don't miss bending fins picking pebbles out with tweezers. Maybe I should slow down and not tailgate so much.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='bdisco']I was just going to huck it in the woods, when my daughter who was 3 at the time started to cry that something might eat it. So we gave it a proper burial, short prayer, and a head stone. The scoop on the WRX did seem to injest quite alot of stuff besides just air (bugs, pebbles, birds.) Don't know how LGT scoop will perform in the long haul as it's profile is not as extreme. Sure don't miss bending fins picking pebbles out with tweezers. Maybe I should slow down and not tailgate so much.[/QUOTE] It's not tailgating...It's called drafting

The wife gets credit for the biggest kill with her MDX (700 Miles on odm). Rte 395 Deer stunned by car in front of her and falls into her lane laying down but head was up. Thinking she had the ground clearence of her Land Rover she tried to straddle it. I think you can guess what happened. Antlers scrape on front spoiler, bends drive shaft (75mph), deer jerky hanging off exhaust (there goes new car smell), blood spray up back window. The state trooper estimated it to be about 180lbs but it was hard to tell since it was hit by about 6 other cars including the 2 responding troopers (can you say hamburger). When she called on her cell I asked if she was all right first, before I asked about the car. Deer vs MDX = Draw

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm looking into that too- even better than the wire mesh is some black plastic gutter gaurd, but it too needs to be done in two sections. I think it'd be a lot easier to join the plastic by either melting it or using epoxy.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='jedimaster'] Originally, I had wanted to use a frame and common household screening to do this, but upon looking at the screening, it looked very restrictive of airflow. I had made screens for WRX's before and wanted to do one for this car- as you can see, there's some junk accumulated on the intercooler after only about 1300 miles: [/QUOTE] Do you really think that the household or window screening would be that restrictive? I mean it's such thin wire mesh that I can't see it being that disruptive. I was also thinking of doing this just in front of the radiator too, as mine has become insanely clogged with grasshoppers, butterflies, etc. However, I figured the fine mesh screening would be better since it would catch smaller particles (although it would have to be cleaned more regularly also). The only thing I see that would happen is it would disrupt airflow more, but does anyone think this would really that much of a problem?

Go to [url="http://www.mcmaster.com"]www.mcmaster.com[/url] - under "Raw Materials and Springs" pick "Metals" - click "Wire Cloth, Mesh, and Perforated Sheets" - look at the section titled: "Percentage of Open Area Range" Generally, the diamond pattern mesh materials are anywere from 50% to 75% open. Meaning you're reducing the surface area of the intercooler 25% to 50% depending on the material. I have no idea what the effect is in practice however.

You probably picked gold, copper, or nickel for the material. My only point was that most of the very "open" (90% or more) mesh screens are very expensive and that the lower priced diamond stuff actually is pretty restictive. Probably better going without a screen.

As to actually finding that website all I can say is, "wow." Heh really informative, one wouldn't think those meshes would be near that restrictive. This looks like a good one: Electroformed Fine Wire Mesh Sheets; [b]Mesh per Inch [/b]20 x 20 [b]Wire Dia. [/b]0.00127" [b]Open. Width [/b]0.04873" [b]Open Area [/b]95% [b]Sheet Size [/b]6 1/2" x 6 1/2" [b]Nickel [/b]$256.67 [b]Copper [/b]$388.33 [b]Gold [/b]$1075.00 "Hmm, now let's do the math. Okay, I want to do my IC and radiator so lets get 6 sheets just to be sure. Now nickel is $256 per sheet so that's $1,54... Oh wait, there's gold? Well I need my Subie to bling!..."

Thanks for the write-up. It prompted me to venture to Lowe's where I bought one of those small expanded metal door panel screens for around $25. It looks identical to the engine cover screen and was large enough to make 4 pieces (kept 2 and sold 2). I also used the door trim for the edges as well, however, the friction fit is very tight and didn't require any sort of glue.

"dv/dt" mis-posted in the wrong thread, and I don't know how to move individual replies, so here is his post from the Oil Change thread ([url]http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=220020&postcount=69[/url]): [quote name='dv/dt']Here's my attempt at this project. [img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/vroooooom/CIMG0253.jpg[/img] Made a rough template. And got some 1/4" screen. [img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/vroooooom/CIMG0256.jpg[/img] Cut out two screens...decided I like the 45 deg one more [img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/vroooooom/CIMG0264.jpg[/img] Bent up all sides at 90 degs [img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/vroooooom/CIMG0265.jpg[/img] Applied door moulding around the bent up edges. This is the top view. [img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/vroooooom/CIMG0266.jpg[/img] And here's the bottom. [img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/vroooooom/CIMG0268.jpg[/img] And installed. Probably epoxy it tmrw and paint it black.[/QUOTE]
-ben

[quote name='Legasee']+1 :rolleyes: I'm gonna try that sometime...any tips on what NOT to do when trying to make this?:D[/QUOTE] The only suggestion I can think of to add is to make sure it is large enough so that it fits snugly. [quote name='firedawgs']I went to Lowes and could not find the 45 degree one. Did you say you found it in the door section where the screens are?[/QUOTE] I'm not sure if this question was for me but I found the screen material in the fence section (at Home Depot) and rotated the template 45 degs to trace the cut.

• 2 months later...
Sounded like a good idea. The intercooler vents always seemed strangely exposed especially when Subaru placed a grill over the lower opening in the cover. I went to the hardware store looking for screen material to use and could find nothing that seemed right. By accident I came upon those 'fillters' or grease catchers or whatever they are that are in the cooking range hoods above most stoves in the home. They have an aluminum frame around an aluminum mesh that will not restrict airflow (just be sure to not use one with a charcoal center), yet will block debris and 'mislaid' tools. I found one that is almost an exact fit over the intercooler hole in the engine cover, all I had to do is trim the corners at the 'top' and it lay down nicely with enough on the sides for mounting to the engine cover. There is only a very small gap at the 'top' because the frame is square but the cover is curved at that spot. If necessary some foam rubber would solve that problem. Right now I am trying just industrial velcro to hold it down until any problems show up, if any. Later I will drill some holes in the cover and screw it down because there seems to be enough room beneath the cover to avoid screwing down on anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there :) This might be a silly (read: noobish) question but. How hot does the intercooler get? As dv/dt did he put the mesh with the moulding right on top of it. Is it possible that due to the heat it could melt and cause a mess? Unless the moulding is rated for really high temps that is.

The grille/mesh I am referring to is all aluminum ... no plastic, and also located in the airflow. The intercooler fins are aluminum, so ...... The new grille is not on the intercooler, but on the plastic cover over the entire engine, above the intercooler. Also, as I found out later, there is a piece of the air inlet that is verticle above the intercooler and touches what I added. A simple cutting in he mesh of a slot for it was accomplished with tin snips.

It does get pretty warm but not hot enough to melt the moulding. As Jedi said, the glue you use is the only issue. The moulding I used had a bead of glue in it and that did not hold when it got hot. I just went to the hobby shop and picked the highest temp rate epoxy I could find.

[quote name='dv/dt']It does get pretty warm but not hot enough to melt the moulding. As Jedi said, the glue you use is the only issue. The moulding I used had a bead of glue in it and that did not hold when it got hot. I just went to the hobby shop and picked the highest temp rate epoxy I could find.[/QUOTE] what if you leave it unglued? does it rattle and move around? I would assume that it does on installations that cover the whole area and not only the intercooler.

The glue/epoxy holds the plastic moulding to the metal mesh. On mine, entire new screen sits on top of the intercooler inside the engine cover. If you make it the right size it will fit snug in there and not rattle around. It should not need to be glued down. Makes it easy to take off and wash out all the bees and leaves and such that get sucked in.

Archived