LegacyGT.com

I'm getting a Legacy, dealer trying to locate what I want

godwhomismike

Ok, today I went with my Dad to look and compare both the Legacy GT Limited and the 350Z. We first stopped at Samone Auto Mall in Woodbridge, NJ to look at the 350Z. While we both agreed yeah it looked nice, it was too low to the ground so getting in my driveway would be impossible, plus the trunk is just too damn small, and the dealer goes "oh this is not a high demand car. Your looking at at least $500/mo." Yeah right, too much money and not enough car. At that point, I was turned off enough where I didn't even bother test driving it. So we headed down the road to Richard Lucas Subaru again. I test drove the Legacy GT Limited today for the third time, and yes it is true what they say about the 3rd time being the charm. I put the car in sport mode before pulling out, I waited till it was safe to go and zoooom - I give it maybe a little bit more than 1/4 throttle and the turbo almost instantly kicks in throwing us back into the seat - my Dad was like "Jesus Christ, slow down." I'm like I'm no where near the speed limit yet. I had a big ass grin the whole test drive, it just felt really torquey today and it just wanted to run. Driving with my Dad was like going out on a road test, but whatever, I wanted his opinion before jumping into a new car blindly. Both of us agreed the car is very classy, has a very high quality look and feel, it drives very smooth, and we both disliked the look of the spoiler. The only thing my Dad thinks is the car has way too much power :D . Looking at his face when he felt the pick up it had was classic :o - LOL I'm about to sign the deal, just waiting for the dealer to locate the car for me - I want a Regal Blue with black leather interior without the spoiler. I could've drove off the lot today with it, but I just dislike the spoiler that much. I'm just curious how good of a deal is this? '05 Legacy GT Limited Sedan (Regal blue/black leather) Automatic sub/amp package security upgrade auto dimming mirrors $349.89/mo for 48 months w/ $2000 down (lease) Other than that, I plan on driving around in the new Legacy before Labor Day weekend. I'm now waiting up on the dealer to locate the car for me. I'll hear back from him on Monday. - Mike

I saw both a Regal Blue and a Atlantic Blue today, and I think I may have him change it to Atlantic Blue, since I asked him to find both of them without the spoiler. He called me back and told me he located both. On Monday, I will give him the OK on the color and the car, and probably drop a deposit down and seal the deal this week. I dealt with a different guy at this dealership today since I couldn't find the person who helped me the first two times I was there. I saw him after I was being helped by someone else. I got a price today - $349/mo for 48 months with $2000 down. The original sales person who helped me the first two times called me twice this evening and told me he'll go $10-$15 lower a month on the price. I planned to have him make the sale before this, but now he'll definitely be getting the sale. And so I see a few sleepless nights approaching - I can't wait to finally have it. - Mike

Congrats on deciding on the GT. Funny I just drove a regal blue GT limited sedan today. This was the second time I test drove a GT. The first time they didn't have a limited model for me. The feel of the car was consistent with my first test drive (both automatic). The car has plenty of power and torque, probably a bit "way too much power" :) The sales guy lead me to a highway onramp and told me to punch it. So I did and took the ramp at a pretty high speed, while I was trying to look at the speedometer to see how fast I was going, I looked away from the road for a sec, and I ended up getting too close to the left side of the curve, I quickly snapped the steering wheel to the right a bit and this caused the car to skid, but I was able to quickly recover by touching the break and straightening the wheel. Now I have never skidded in any of the cars I've owned. Not because I'm a wimp but because I've never owned a car that made me feel comfortable driving that hard. Even though the legacy skidded for a couple seconds, I recovered with no drama, it just felt very natural. It must have been the AWD helping me out there. Needless to say I had a grin on my face afterwards. :) I'm sure you'll be happy with your new GT. Congrats. I will hopefully be getting my own soon. [quote name='godwhomismike']I saw both a Regal Blue and a Atlantic Blue today, and I think I may have him change it to Atlantic Blue, since I asked him to find both of them without the spoiler. He called me back and told me he located both. On Monday, I will give him the OK on the color and the car, and probably drop a deposit down and seal the deal this week. I dealt with a different guy at this dealership today since I couldn't find the person who helped me the first two times I was there. I saw him after I was being helped by someone else. I got a price today - $349/mo for 48 months with $2000 down. The original sales person who helped me the first two times called me twice this evening and told me he'll go $10-$15 lower a month on the price. I planned to have him make the sale before this, but now he'll definitely be getting the sale. And so I see a few sleepless nights approaching - I can't wait to finally have it. - Mike[/quote]

godwhomismike.. why the he*l would you EVER CONSIDER THE 350Z?!?!?! Your in high school like me right?.... Im not taking the Audi TT roadster Convertible because its only a 2 seater and so is the 350 z.... Smart move not to get the z, not just cuz it has a small trunk.... Sucks you hafta lease... you cant do anything too outragous..... PLus why are you getting it in auto... MT is way to go... plus the girls love it ;-) and go black with chroommee mhhmmm ok enough about what i want... congrats -alex

When someone asks "do I have a good deal" when they give you payments only, I have NO clue if that is a good deal. These are "payment buyers", and most of the time, the dealer has massaged the numbers so much, that you are actually paying over sticker price. Also in my opinion, leases are for people who want something they really can't afford, and a lease gives them that option because of lower payments. The residual stinks at turn in time...you get screwed. Also there is way too little mileage allowance (for me at least), and expect to pay $0.15/mile for anything over 12k/year. Leases are not good deals... Mark

A lease is only a "semi-good" idea if you are a business owner. I am, but have always purchased my vehicles. I modify my trucks too much to lease them (snowplows, lights, accessories, etc). Plus, at the end of the lease you DON'T OWN JACK! No equity whatsoever! With a "fun to drive" car like the Legacy, are you going to be able to stay below on milage? You'll be paying almost $19K over 4 years, and when that time comes, YOU OWN NOTHING! Probably a $10-12K buyout! Then you start over.

Leasing is not a bad idea. Its a good idea for people who can't really afford a car or intend on not keeping to begin with. I almost leased this car cuz I only got it for college but after test driving it I realized this is a car that is ment to be kept for a while and it ment to be modded once enough options are out.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

From Consumer Reports: Leasing tips: The wrong decision can cost you money When you buy a car you own it outright at the end of the loan. Leasing can get you a lower monthly payment, but you don't own the vehicle at the end of the lease. Which is right for you depends on your lifestyle and driving needs. Obviously, buying a car with cash is the cheapest way to acquire a vehicle because you avoid paying interest on a loan. Even for those who take out a loan, the financial advantage of buying increases the longer the vehicle is kept after the loan is paid off. The attractions of leasing often include a low (or no) down payment and those low monthly payments. (The monthly payments need to cover only the car's depreciation and finance charges, not the total value of the vehicle.) The lower monthly payments of leasing can also let you drive a more expensive car than you could otherwise afford. Another attraction of leasing is that at the end of the lease, you can simply return the car to the dealer and walk away from it. You don't have the hassle involved with selling or trading in your old car. Leasing has its drawbacks. Once you're in the leasing habit, monthly payments go on forever. You do get to drive one late-model car after another, but you're always on the steep side of the depreciation curve--the time of a car's life when it depreciates the fastest. (It's the same as if you traded in your car in every two or three years.) When you own a car, you can put on as many miles as you like without a financial penalty, and wear and tear need not be a special concern. When you lease, you pay penalties of perhaps 25 cents per mile for going over the preset mileage limit--usually 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year. You'll also have to pay to have the car reconditioned if the dealer judges that it suffers from excess wear and tear when you turn it in. Of course, if you own a vehicle, excessive wear and tear will lower its resale value. If you need to get out of the lease before its term expires, you may be stuck with thousands of dollars in early-termination fees and penalties--all due at once. The bottom line: leasing is best for those who drive less than 15,000 miles a year, who keep a vehicle in good shape, and who tend to get a new car every two or three years anyway. If you decide to lease, shop lease rates the same as you would loan rates. Manufacturers' subvented leases can be particularly good deals. [b]10 TIPS FOR A SMART LEASE[/b] 1. Negotiate the vehicle's purchase price as if you were going to buy the car. Once you have a firm price, only then bring up leasing. 2. Negotiate the mileage limit, down payment, and purchase-option price. All can be bargained over. 3. To turn a lease's decimal "money factor" into an approximate annual interest rate, multiply the money factor by 2,400. 4. Buy gap insurance to protect yourself if the vehicle is stolen or is totaled in an accident. 5. Look for cars that don't depreciate faster than average. Check the "predicted depreciation" rating in each vehicle profile. 6. Avoid leases that extend beyond the car's factory warranty, if you can. 7. Note any end-of-lease procedures and fees. 8. Buy extra miles up front if you expect to run over the standard allotment. 9. Make sure your trade-in is deducted from the leased car's "capitalized cost." 10. After the lease has ended, if you choose to buy, try to bargain down the purchase price. Mark

[quote name='Alex1']godwhomismike.. why the he*l would you EVER CONSIDER THE 350Z?!?!?! Your in high school like me right?.... Im not taking the Audi TT roadster Convertible because its only a 2 seater and so is the 350 z.... Smart move not to get the z, not just cuz it has a small trunk.... Sucks you hafta lease... you cant do anything too outragous..... PLus why are you getting it in auto... MT is way to go... plus the girls love it ;-) and go black with chroommee mhhmmm ok enough about what i want... congrats -alex[/quote] I graduated college a year ago and have my BS in Computer Science. I am currently working as a systems admin at a city college here in NY. I don't plan on doing anything too outragous, such as body kits, wheels, systems, etc... I also plan on leasing so I could keep a lot of money in the bank that I've saved and put it toward settling down in a couple of years. The payments are well within my range, and I don't have to dump out my bank account to afford it. - Mike

I took some pics today after going back to see these cars in sunlight. I will say they do change a lot from cloudy days to sunny days.

After seeing the Regal Blue again - I don't want it. I wasn't thrilled with it.

I have a soft spot for Atlantic Blue. The red looks awesome in some light and other light it looks ok. The other colors don't move me much. I have to say the more I see the 3.0R sedan, the more I like it. This is driving me crazy - LOL

legacy0001.jpg.2fde630ee999848cbc35d7d3dcb53334.jpg

Archived