LegacyGT.com

Did changing from stock rubber really help brakes?

UrQ

I've owned the GT Ltd Sedan 5sp for about a week now, and I love nearly everything about the car. I sold my WRX wagon to get this car and I'm approaching the driving style in the same manner as the WRX. That is to say, I brake late, as I've done with my Audi's and other AWD cars, then power on through. I've been unpleasantly surprised a few times by what feels like poor braking, followed by tire squeal. I know there have been endless discussions about hating the stock U.S. tires (I'm not fond of them either), but what I really want to know is, for those of you who have driven on the stocks and then swapped, do you notice a braking improvement, or do I need to upgrade the rotors? I know some of you swapped out the rubber before even turning the key (I searched the forums), so I'm really looking for you guys who have driven stock than swapped and will know the difference. Since I have to order the snows soon, I will order new summer rubber too if it truly helps. Thanks everyone! Todd

Haha, very funny, Mark. Fortunately, I live in a nice part of Colorado, not the Springs. :P Thanks for the other input guys, I'll go back and read other tire posts to figure out which choice is best for me. Salty, I'm gald to see that Bridgestone makes a good tire, as this one has left so much to be desired.

I can't say for the legacy's, but when I went from the same re-92's to different tires on my wrx braking definitely improved--the traction control didn't kick in nearly as often/easily and you didn't get screeching/squealing. I don't think the re-92's are AWFUL, per se, if you live somewhere with decent weather and drive normally they will suit most people fine--they are quiet, get good mileage and are ok tires. f youget lots of snow, there are better choices. If you drive hard, there are better choices. But if you're the average driver they will probably do you fine and better than some.

not sure if it's because they were still new (100 miles), but the braking distance wasn't as good as I expected... anyway, what kind of all-season tires do you guys recommend for driving in Colorado, and how much do they cost? thanks.

This Space For Rent

Archived