LegacyGT.com

Bumpstops?

robust

what's it feel like to hit the bumpstops?

i recently installed the k-sport coilovers and the only thing that really bugs is that on freeways (thus high speeds) when i go over quick rises (big ones), i get stuck down into the seat and then fly off of it after the car's over the rise. it can knock the wind out if you arent quick about readying yourself.

is this just due to the high spring rates or is this hitting the stops?

sorry, wasnt thinking aftermarket, that i really dont know

There are most certainly bumpstops in the front! Both the stock front struts and coilovers have bumpstops. The stock rear stuts are the ones without bumpstops. My Tein coilovers came with bumpstops in the rear.

I experience pretty much the same ride issues as the original poster. I've come to the conclusion that the problem is twofold. Most aftermarket coilovers offer less travel than the stock suspension. Even coupled with signifigantly stiffer springs this can allow the suspension to bottom out more frequently. The other issue is insufficient dampening, especially on the rebound side. From my seat of the pants, that's what really makes it seem like you are flying off your seat after the initial hit of the bump.

I've already cut down my rear bumpstops to maximize travel in the rear and cranked up the dampening. This has helped, but I still think that the rear shocks need to be stiffer. In my case, part of this is wear and tear, as my coilovers have some miles on them. I'd probably would have had them rebuilt and revalved by Tein, but I'm expecting to try out a prototype set of Megan Racing coilover in the ext couple of months. We'll see if they are better, worse or the same.

suspension movement shouldnt be that much, I checked using my video cameras mounted on the car. There shouldnt be a need for a bump stop.. it prevents your shocks from blowing out.

Hitting a bumpstop sounds very harsh, like a heavy THUMP.

Keefe

what are u ppl calling bumpstops...... the rubber piece that goes on the strut shaft, right below the strut mount?

yes, some are also made of softer urethane.

the rear uses an external "boob" looking one mounted on the chassis of the car.

Keefe

i dont really hear a noise.

it's just a very harsh ride. almost knocks the wind out of me slightly on the bad ones when the seat belt digs down into my abdomen.

edit: not harsh normally. i just meant at these certain anomalies in the road.

btw, i have it lowered pretty low for my standards, im on the stock 17s and re92s (yea yea) and cant really get a finger in there without angling it up a little

mess around w/ your dampening levels. I have the KSports, and they were almost unbearable. I played around w/ them for about 2-3 months, trying out several different combinations...I still have a stiff ride, which others notice from the stock levels, but it's fine for me. It definately got noticeably more comfortable for my friends in the back though.:lol: I've found that, in my case, slightly stiffer in the front, w/ one step lower for the back gives me the ideal comfort/dampening, etc. Of course, my rear suspension isn't stock other than the coilovers also...But hope this helps you out some. Oh yeah, do your KSports clunk?:lol:

how many turns from full soft or hard are the fronts or rears then?

and i've heard of the clunking with everyone but not sure i know what sound they're talking about.

i have an odd sound which only comes from the front pass. side. it occurs at low speeds when the corner is loading/unloading and sounds like the spring is like stuck on something and creaks successively while it is extending/contracting. is that what the clunking is?

otherwise i dont have it. but i dont know how to fix this noise, i messed with the front right bolts and stuff and it wasnt as apparent for one ride but came right back and is as bad if not worse now.

On my OBXT wagon I could SEE inside the wheel spokes that the body was on the rear bumpstops when we lowered it 3". We did not hear anthing when we drove, but the rear would launch on each bump. I installed LGT bumpstops and raise the whole car 3/4". Now all is too soft. I need to add some firmness to each corner and play some more.

Archived