LegacyGT.com

Power Cable and remote turn on for amp?

Weasel

Ok 12v heads. How did you snake the power cable from the battery to wherever you placed your amp(s) and how do you turn on the amp(s)? I think the most obvious place to get that signal would be the wiring behind the HU but I also think I can tap into the wiring at the antenna amp. Has anyone done an installation. Please share some tips.

All wiring done. Power cable piggybacked with the main harness through the biggest grommet on the passenger side firewall. Power cable laid down under the passenger side door sills. Pulled the HU and tapped into the wires for the high level signals and the remote turn on signal. Ran all wires down the center of the car, under the front console, under rear seats and into the trunk. More work next week to install the amp, front speakers, and subwoofer.

Got my system in today. I have an Infinity 4 channel amp with 2 channels powering front and rear speakers and the rear channels bridged to power the 10" Sub. The amp has both hi and low inputs and I used both; HU routes to the hi level input, the ipod routes to the low level input. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Do not use the the Antenna turn on lead at the HU wiring harness to turn on your amp. With radio operation the amp turns on ok, but if you switch to CD then the power to the Antenna ampflier is turned off and so does your amp. Use the ACC lead instead. Here's some pictures in no particular order.

Where exactly is that big grommet? I have some 1/0 power wire I plan to use, but it is welding grade so it is very flexible. Also, what are the dimensions of the speakers you added to the front? I am thinking of getting some 6.5" component speakers, but I do not know how deep of a speaker I can fit in the stock locations.

[quote name='Th3Franz']Where exactly is that big grommet? I have some 1/0 power wire I plan to use, but it is welding grade so it is very flexible. Also, what are the dimensions of the speakers you added to the front? I am thinking of getting some 6.5" component speakers, but I do not know how deep of a speaker I can fit in the stock locations.[/quote] The stock speaker has a mounting depth of 1.75". The 6.5 Diamond Audio speaker has a mounting depth of 2.5" - 1" (spacers) = 1.5" actual depth. Any mounting depth greater that 2" will encounter a fitment problem unless spacers are used. That big grommet is on the firewall on the passenger side. Pop the hood and you'll see it.

Ok. I'm still considering some CDT components that are 2 7/8" deep. Making spacers is not a big deal.. just as long as there is no clearance issue with the windows or door panel, etc. So no one has found a suitable grommet or place to drill a hole on the driver's side?

I used (2) 4-DPDT relays to make the switching circuit between high and low levels. My amp accepts both, so high level for the HU and low level for the ipod, The sound is as good as the source and there is no distortion. Actually the sound is a lot better having gotten used to listening through the little ear buds. Cheers.

[quote name='GranTourer']Looks real smooth Weasel. Did you put a speaker in the rear deck? Also, where did you get your speaker spacers from?[/quote] No speaker in the rear deck. I cut out the hole for the bass to route to the interior. Most car stereo shops have spacers.

[quote name='-HEF-']are those spacers easy-in? or did you have to re-drill?[/quote] These spacers have 4 evenly spaced mounting holes which never line up with any speakers I have ever installed. They are meant to be drilled for whatever speaker you chose. Check you local car stereo install shop for spacers.

• 2 weeks later...
Check it out... Navone N-902 [url]http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N-902[/url] Senses line signal and turns on your amp... I have one... works great. Supposedly he makes the best LOC's available... Competition worthy. I have the N-7v and the level of adjustaility is awesome. [url]http://www.davidnavone.com/[/url]

i found a grommet in the firewall that i was planning on using. its right next to the steering column, above and to the right of the gas pedal. its a large grommet, so a 0g wire like im planning on using will fit ok through it. i'm just going to have to be carful using it so that it doesnt interfere w/ the pedal.

Archived