LegacyGT.com

Alternator Question

i may be considering to get a new alternator for my 2.5i. running max gain on amp/sub system + a laptop and other stuff in my car is just draining too much out of the battery. and frankly i either need to a) set up an isolator and install a second battery into the car or b) obtain a better alternator.

so my questions, as i a have no clue what to do or what to expect...

1. are the alternators from the 2.5i & GT the same? or different?

1a. if different, is it more powerful? if so, would you advise that i use that one instead?

2. should i do a battery isolator and install a second battery else where? or go for a better alternator? (and YES i do need to run all the things from my car, consider it a mobile office)

2a. if isolator, how hard to install? never done it before. people give very vague instructions on doing it.

2b. if alternator, what are my choices for a better one? what would you recommend?

(in case of flame: i searched for "alternator+purchase" and "alternator+buy" and came up w/ nothing.. so i have looked)

thx in advance

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

not to hijack, but what's an isolator? a separate loop from the alternator to a 2nd battery?

dR

oh, and check out meangreen alternators. i know they had models for the older legacys (legacies?) and the WRX.

not cheap though. expect to pay in the $300 range for a 140amp sized generator.

either that, or you can find a local guy that rebuilds them, and give him your stocker (or a rebuilt) and have him juice it up.

dR

You really don't want a second battery & isolator unless you're running hi-draw items for extended periods with the car off. Better alternator's the way to go, find out from the dealer or elsewhere what yours is rated, go up as appropriate for the extra gear you're running.

Google high output alternator or HO alternator, lots of companies.

You really don't want a second battery & isolator unless you're running hi-draw items for extended periods with the car off. Better alternator's the way to go, find out from the dealer or elsewhere what yours is rated, go up as appropriate for the extra gear you're running.

Google high output alternator or HO alternator, lots of companies.

i mean is there like a cap on how much output the system can take? i'm not good w/ engine electronics n stuff.... so bear with me on this one.

i guess a more direct question is. is there such thing as TOO much output from a "high output" alternator?

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Archived