LegacyGT.com

Oil-noia

Yeah maybe I'm noided, but I gotta ask: Is there any way to tell if they put in synthetic oil rather than the standard juice just by looking at the dipstick? It's not that I don't trust the place I took it, it's just "Trust, but Verify," y'know? If anything, the dipstick sample looks a little more amber than I remember non-synth fresh oil looked like, but I can't tell...the engine is super-sweet, no complaints, just wondering....

Yeah maybe I'm noided, but I gotta ask: Is there any way to tell if they put in synthetic oil rather than the standard juice just by looking at the dipstick? It's not that I don't trust the place I took it, it's just "Trust, but Verify," y'know? If anything, the dipstick sample looks a little more amber than I remember non-synth fresh oil looked like, but I can't tell...the engine is super-sweet, no complaints, just wondering....

They taste different.

^^^ Laughed my ass off (pun intended)

Where did you have it done? If it was at a dealer, they only have reg oil as they don't carry any synth. oils....If I'm lazy (cuz of winter weather) I bring it to the dealer, and bring them the synth oil I want them to use and ask for the empty bottles so I know they used it :D

If it was at a quick lube place, you just gotta take their word for it, it's really hard to tell the diff unless you have it analyzed by a place which isn't gonna be worth it. Even if they did it won't hurt anything ;)

^^^ Laughed my ass off (pun intended)

Where did you have it done? If it was at a dealer, they only have reg oil as they don't carry any synth. oils....If I'm lazy (cuz of winter weather) I bring it to the dealer, and bring them the synth oil I want them to use and ask for the empty bottles so I know they used it :D

Empty customer's 5 quarts of sync into new container(s), add dino oil to customer's car, return empty container to customer! Where there is a will, there is a way!! :lol:

-S

Mmmmm....thermometer tastes different today, a little spicy--coriander and garlic? Odd combination, but nice...

The place I took it is a very clean operation run by a "tight ship" type of car enthusiast pouring Mobil 1 for $48, that's why I go there, but my weed-induced dark thoughts can't help but stumble over Stringfellow's nefarious decanting scenario....so, I know what yer gonna say: either start changing it yerself or just puff some more and forget it, eh? The latter is like turning up the volume to not hear the rattles.....but then I hear different rattles, and on and on it goes....

I would think the simplest and cheapest way would be to:

- Get sample of oil from a few dipstick pulls/oil pan

- Get sample of the synthetic you think could be in

- Get sample of the dino you think could be in

For each sample do the following and note the observations:

1. Put oil sample in metal container and apply direct flame to the bottom and note any visible viscosity change, affinity & opposition to the flame hotspot from underneath

2. Apply flame to the oil sample and note any reactions(bubbling, flame color, combustion characteristics.

Then compare the observations and determine what it is through the differences/similarities.

I keed I keeed

Archived