LegacyGT.com

OK.. I am close to pulling the trigger

fatbastard

but I have some questions. I recently drove an 05 GT Ltd and I was quoted ~25500 with basically no options. Does this price seem reasonble? This seemed to be kind of high to me as I have seen other posts saying they are going for around 24 some a little less. This kind of surprised me because I am also eligible for the VIP program to buy the car at dealer cost plus incentives. But I guess the program is kind of pointless since most people tend to get close to cost anyway. Since I can buy at delaer cost should I just get an 06 and hope that Subaru fixed some of the little problems like the studdering? The car had less than a 100 miles but it has obviously been used for test drives....I am pretty anal and am somewhat worried that this car got thrashed and wasn't properly warmed up and cooled down. Should I be concerned or is the Subaru turbo design pretty durable? Obviously I would like to get one cheaper as I need mod money.

Well I got my '06 LGT with the following options for $26,581 (before taxes and tags).

Spoiler

Autodimming mirror

Rocker panels

I'm sure you can do a lot better than the offer for 25,000 for the '05.

Here is a thread on the differences between the '05 and '06, take a look and see if it'll be worth it to opt for the '06. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22636&highlight=differences

Well I got my '06 LGT with the following options for $26,581 (before taxes and tags).

Spoiler

Autodimming mirror

Rocker panels

I'm sure you can do a lot better than the offer for 25,000 for the '05.

Here is a thread on the differences between the '05 and '06, take a look and see if it'll be worth it to opt for the '06. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22636&highlight=differences

Thanks for the link...checking it out now. Soundslike what you have is what i would like, were there any incentives when you bought?

The current incentive is $2,000 for '05's, vs. $1,000 for '06's.

$25,500 is too high for an '05 LGT with almost no options. You could get an '06 for close to $26K without much trouble. The '05 might start looking like a good deal at around $24.5K. My local dealer has an '05 with short-throw shifter, auto-dimming mirror, armrest extension, and security system upgrade that they are selling for $23,995, although I haven't been able to confirm whether it is a demo or not.

but I have some questions. I recently drove an 05 GT Ltd and I was quoted ~25500 with basically no options. Does this price seem reasonble? This seemed to be kind of high to me as I have seen other posts saying they are going for around 24 some a little less. This kind of surprised me because I am also eligible for the VIP program to buy the car at dealer cost plus incentives. But I guess the program is kind of pointless since most people tend to get close to cost anyway. Since I can buy at delaer cost should I just get an 06 and hope that Subaru fixed some of the little problems like the studdering? The car had less than a 100 miles but it has obviously been used for test drives....I am pretty anal and am somewhat worried that this car got thrashed and wasn't properly warmed up and cooled down. Should I be concerned or is the Subaru turbo design pretty durable? Obviously I would like to get one cheaper as I need mod money.

Offer them 24,500 out the door and take it from there (act like you don't really need a car and that the color is wrong). I paid 24,030 OTD for mine (I initially offered 23,500 OTD), but I got an extraordinary deal and the car had 400 miles on it. The big question is how much is it worth to you to have a car with effectively zero miles on it? If that's what you want, you may have to pay a premium. To me, a few hundred miles don't really matter if the car drives right and has a good warranty.

For better or worse, I'm a big Consumer Reports fan and the reliability of the Subaru LGT is "better than average" and has a good warranty. I don't think you can get this kind of performance AND reliability AND low maintenance costs on any other car out there -- this includes BMW. Subaru has been building/racing AWD and turbos for a long time. They know what they're doing. Durability of the turbo design is not a concern.

Thanks for the help...this is becoming a tough decision for me. I like the Legacy and the mods I can do with the help of the forum but I have never owned one before and am somewhat concerned about reliability. I know they are good but I put on a lot of mile a year commuting, currently I am driving an Integra with over 250k miles and it still drives fine...looks like shit but things are starting to show their age and I am worried about dumping big time money into it. The other car is an A4 which has been great but honestly I can't afford to spend 35k on a car that will have 100k in 3 years, but after owning one I am convinced I want AWD. That is what lead me to the Legacy, but I think I really need that buy in price to be lower to make me feel comfortable and based on what you're all saying that should be possible.

Thanks again!

You can get the 06 for about 500-1,000 more....get the 06!

If you are comming from an Audi which many of us have, Reliability will be MUCH improved over what you are used to;)

The only thing I miss......Seats & Steering

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Well the Audi will still be in the stable, this would be to replace the ageing Integra. Our A4 has actually been pretty reliable but that is about to change as teh miles add up. Right now we are over 110k and it looks like we need a new clutch and the shocks are borderline. I do expect the Subie to be better than the Audi...and cheaper to fix just because teh parts will be cheaper but I am just comparing Subie reliability to that of Acura. Like I said I have over 250k and basically only change teh oil, plugs and filters. Other than that the only other repairs have been the clutch, brakes (wear items) and recently the exhaust starting to corrode through. Other than that this car has cost virtually nothing to keep on the road. Oh and in the last few years it keeps burning through headlamps....like every 6-9 months.

This is my first time owning a subbie also. I myself put a lot of mileage on my cars. I've owned this car since October (3 months ago) and I already have 10,300 miles on her. I think I'll be out of warranty by the middle of this year :( .

I haven't expereinced first hand long term reliability, but have a few friends that have put their cars past 150,000 miles. That helped to put myself at ease when I purchased my car. I also checked out MSN autos to check out the reliability history of previous cars and lurked in this forum for a good year.

MSN Autos, they give detailed reliability information for each model year. Just click Get More Information.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?make=Subaru&model=Legacy&src=URES

ConsumerReports:

You must have a login to view the reliability information.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/reliability.htm

Should I be concerned or is the Subaru turbo design pretty durable?

While it would be even cooler if they used a design that would allow for drop in turbos from the sti, the design itself is very servicable. Even if the turbo ever goes bad, its soo much cheaper than swapping turbos on my audi S4(previous).

The key to Subaru's durability (including the FI-engined models) is routine maintenance.

• Change the oil & filter at the specified OCI
  • Change the other filters at their intervals
  • Check your tire pressures (surprising unbalanced TP puts a strain on the drivetrain)
  • Check the diffs and tranny monthly to make sure they're where they should be
  • Change the coolant every 30K miles with Subaru Coolant and
  • Change out the brake fluid when it needs it (at least yearly).
  • Wipers are tires are wear items so change them as needed

Most of the earlier Subaru turbo engines are still running today and going strong. I've read of many over 250K miles and still putting down the power. Thats a good indicator of the reliability of these engines as well as their durability...

As I mentioned in another thread, I was all set to buy a 2004 LGT but held off to wait for the 05 and the turbo "enhancements". Would not have done this if I thought that there was going to be any issue with long-term reliability/durability with this car.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If you're concerned about the long-term reliability of the turbo you can always opt for the NA model, which makes alot of sense in your case since you want to minimize cost of ownership/depreciation and future maintenance since you drive so much.

I could but honestly I would probably pick something else then...the GT is just so tempting because of the power and potential.

if you are not going to mod the vehicle at all, a turbo would be fine if you decided you wanted a little extra power too. there is a little more maintenance and of course the premium fuel for the turbo, but it is definitely worth a little more money for the "WOHOOO" factor and makes the commute a little more enjoyable. :)

also keep in mind, Subaru has been making turbo powered vehicle for the US market since the brat and old XT thing in the 80's. it isnt like they decided to throw them on here in the past year or two and have no track record or real world knowledge of what they are doing with them.

as far as reliability, it would be different if i was putting on my own turbo to a Fiero or something...that might not be very reliable, but then again, i dont really ever work on my own car...that is when a warranty and working for the dealership comes into play ;)

One of the techs here at work actually has a stock turbo brat he uses on the farm, plus it get a lot better MPG's than his big dodge truck.

Archived