LegacyGT.com

ipod integration with factory mcintosh head unit, yeah boy!

elarbee

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Next Q, will this work the in the McIntosh in the STi as we dont have steering wheel controls.

Ada///M.

should work fine as i'm pretty sure it's the same hu, no? in fact, you could actually also add steering wheel controls to compliment the button shifters on the gt ;) or.. wait for it... change the button shifters from tranny to audio control mwuahaha...

$260 Aus in the end fitted.

Tony - Audiotech Canberra fitted it so cable sticks out into my glove box (top right compartment). very neat install, So I just put the ipod 5g in there.

schweeet, i put mine in the box as well.

• 3 weeks later...

This is really similar to the OEM system for bimmers. I have an IPOD adapter from BMW, and it works the same with 5 playlists, and the 6 playing the entire IPOD.

I just wish we had something similar for the LGT

• 2 months later...

I don't know much about the AUX in stuff but have been fevourishly working on a solution to get an easy AUX in working on my McIntosh stereo in a 3.0RB Wagon. Not AUX in for an ipod only, but AUX in for a Carputer.

Thought of trying to hack the ce-net ipod adapter when I found this little device -

http://www.pie.net/store/index.cfm?action=ViewDetails&ItemID=122

Can canyone comment as to whether they believe it would work or not ?

I don't know much about the AUX in stuff but have been fevourishly working on a solution to get an easy AUX in working on my McIntosh stereo in a 3.0RB Wagon. Not AUX in for an ipod only, but AUX in for a Carputer.

Thought of trying to hack the ce-net ipod adapter when I found this little device -

http://www.pie.net/store/index.cfm?action=ViewDetails&ItemID=122

Can canyone comment as to whether they believe it would work or not ?

Wow! So perhaps by using this it is possible to control things via the iPod vs. connecting the iPod straight to the ce-net adapter and having the adapter take control of the iPod.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone confirm what Jimbo mentioned above works? As I'm current installing a carputer & this would be ideal for me.

Tks

I don't believe anybody has tried it yet. From what I have learnt about it the big constraint is that you need to connect ce-net CD changer to it as well, meaning you cannot use the aux-in by itself. This means it would be hard to integrate with the factory McIntosh system but if you are building a system from scratch around it perhaps you have some leeway.

edit: doh stupid question pls disregard.

I'm going to ask PIE directly. Willing to try if they will accept a refund if it does not work. Hope shipping costs is not too expensive :)

I will be able to confirm or deny if it works within 48 hours. Had a PIE adapter sitting here for the last week just waiting to get my car .... AND I JUST PICKED UP THE CAR !!! WOOOOHOOOO :) Will keep you posted. :icon_mrgr :icon_mrgr :icon_mrgr

• 3 weeks later...

Ok kids, been a while so here is the 411. Just so we're clear I have a 2005 Subaru Liberty (Legacy) 3.0RB Manual Wagon witha McIntosh stereo. Okey dokey.

Purchased a PIE Clarion AUX In adapater, pulled out the McIntosh stereo to find a Cenet input on the HU. The PIE adapter by itself will not work to gain AUX IN to the McIntosh stereo.

Had a Clarion Ipod Adapter (EA1251) at hand, so plugged the PIE Clarion AUX In adapater between the HU and the Clarion Ipod Adapter and voila ... so now I have a 6 stacker CD, with Ipod, with AUX in :)

The carputer is almost complete, well it's in the car and working, just had to revert from Centrafuse RC1 back to Beta 1.6 as RC1 uses Destinator ND maps and wont let you navigate with the current Aussie destinator maps (2005.Q2.3446)

Long story short if you want AUX in on your McIntosh, grab the PIE Clarion Cenet AUX IN and the Clarion Ipod Adapter (EA1251) and you're set. All up you're looking at about $300 but it works like a charm.

Only other thing I've purchased is a ground loop isolator ($20 from Jaycar) to stop the engine whine.

Just a note to anyone doing the above, make sure you get the PIE adapter the right way around. I originally had mine around the wrong way and whilst the ipod adapter was working fine, as soon as it sensed a signal on the AUX IN it muted the ipod and there was no audio .... thought I had a faulty unit until I did a 180 on the PIE and it was up and running.

Will post pics over the weekend, looks like a load of black spaghetti at the moment :icon_mrgr

Thanks Jimbo.

Ordering this now from Discount Car Stereo.com - Purchase new car stereo and accessories for your car at substancial savings.

CLR-AUX Clarion Auxiliary Input/CD Changer Switcher $51.98

Clarion EA1251B Interface for iPod $89.98

Is there a EA1251'A' version? Should the 'B' version be OK as on the EA1251B - Clarion EA1251B Interface for iPod - Accessories - Clarion - Discount Car Stereo.com - Detail

Tks

This sounds very promising. A question though... using this approach your iPod doesn't get charged does it? It seems if you want charging you need to run yet another cable into it! Again such a pity that the EA1251B has the lame arse implementation whereby you lose control of the iPod.

If your ipod is plugged into the Clarion unit (EA1251B) it should be powered by the vehicle. Using this approach is exactly like using the EA1251B by itself, except you just have the PIE adapter in line so you can use it's functionality also.

The clarion adapter is only accessable as a mode option (Cd, FM, AM, Clarion (Stacker)) if you have an ipod plugged into it. If you do not have an ipod plugged in then it does not sense it as a Cenet device and does not provide it as an option. And without the cenet devide being available as a mode option, your aux in trhoguh the pie adapter wont work.

Eg, I have an oldschool sh*tshouse ipod plugged into mine which only has 10 songs on the clarion1 playlist and it's on repeat. There is no skipping at change of song or repeat or anything because the PIE adapter mutes the signal from the ipod and pumps the aux in through.

If your ipod is plugged into the Clarion unit (EA1251B) it should be powered by the vehicle. Using this approach is exactly like using the EA1251B by itself, except you just have the PIE adapter in line so you can use it's functionality also.

The clarion adapter is only accessable as a mode option (Cd, FM, AM, Clarion (Stacker)) if you have an ipod plugged into it. If you do not have an ipod plugged in then it does not sense it as a Cenet device and does not provide it as an option. And without the cenet devide being available as a mode option, your aux in trhoguh the pie adapter wont work.

Eg, I have an oldschool sh*tshouse ipod plugged into mine which only has 10 songs on the clarion1 playlist and it's on repeat. There is no skipping at change of song or repeat or anything because the PIE adapter mutes the signal from the ipod and pumps the aux in through.

Now I'm getting confused... I thought connecting the iPod to the EA1251B would immediately send it "offline"? I've seen a picture of an iPod connected to an EA1251B and it looked like what you get when you connect it to a computer and you can't actually use the iPod. How then do you connect it an iPod to the EA1251B and then actually use the iPod to play something in order to take advantage of the aux in provided by the PIE adapter?

• 1 month later...

Thanks heaps to elarbee. Have been trying to figure out how to connect an iPod to my GT with McIntosh sound system without costing heaps or blowing it up! Does anyone know if a clarion blue tooth system BLT433 or BT1 work with the EA1251? would be neat if it did.

greenie

Archived