LegacyGT.com

Custom Fiberglass Sub Boxs 4 sedans

executor485

Ok, so I am going to tell you all a little secret...

You really should thank Home Depot for this "problem" as they only sell sheets of 3/4" MDF... instead of the smaller 2x4 sections. So, essentially I have enough MDF to make at least 7 enclosures. Possibly 11, but that would be close :| so just for saftey's sake, 7 enclosures.

Ok, so a rough estimate is that they cost me approx $84 a box, but thats not including all materials, time, ect... If I was able to streamline the process I would say that they take me about a week to make @ about 2 hours a night (give or take). I dont know how soon I could have them completed as I am going to be overloaded on work here shortly... But, I could most likely make 7 of them within the next couple of months.

So far the people who want one according are:

1. wrasee?

2. UtahGT

3. Bicster

Other interested people are:

awe25gt

Xantium

rclark0032

subastyle

I am saying about $160 + S&H per box?

Details:

They would be Passenger side boxes, they would not include the wire, and they would be pre cut to handle a JL 10w3 sub. That size should be more than adequate for any 10" sub (as I found out that the JL wouldnt fit in the spot where my sony xplod fit :p )

I can custom make the enclosure to fit your needs possibly to some degree, saying, if you want it to be smaller so that you can put a speaker cage on it and still open the spare tire hatch with ease, ect.

As of right now, the approx depth is anywhere from 8-10" for speaker mounting depth, most likely I would say a 9" deep speaker would fit. The approx airspace is .76 cubic ft. There are 3 layers on the actual box and 2 layers holding the MDF on the front (fiberglass layers). I can make them thicker, but that costs more money, so if you want to custom order it thicker, state so and I will tell you the approx price in total. Shipping and handling prices would obviously go up due to added weight from more layers.

Basically what you would have to do on arrival is string the wire through the pre drilled hole in the back (I can pre-drill it, or you can ask for it to not be drilled, either way isnt a bother to me) and stick your wire through it, then take liquid nail and seal off the wire in the hole, wait for it to dry, then run the wire through the spot I did in my sub box walkthrough.

Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Post away!

Picture:

http://home.sw.rr.com/markchristian/Fiberglassing/DSC01425.JPG

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

2 questions

1. how deep is the box?

it doesn't look like it's gonna be able to fit sub like JL W7

2. where did you put amp?

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

2 questions

1. how deep is the box?

it doesn't look like it's gonna be able to fit sub like JL W7

2. where did you put amp?

The amp is under the spare tire cover where the foam tray used to be. I made a board and covered it with the same material as the sub enclosure. It looks very nice and professional :) I will try and take a picture of it later.

As for depth, I dont know if it will fit a w7. I dont think that it would because a w7 is freakin massive. And the depth is in the explination ;) anywhere from 8-10" depending on where you measure from.

I so want this, but my money is currently tied up in an other project. What is your time line on these boxes?

Im not sure what the timeline is going to be like. I usually take about a week per box depending on the week. From what it looks like the numbers who want or can afford, ect.... are diminishing quickly. I was really hoping there would be more intrest in this since JL isnt making a stealth box for the sedan (wagons only) and many people on the walkthrough have commented on wanting one :)

If you did want one I might be able to make one for you later when funds are not tied up. Just let me know when you would want it and we might be able to arrange something.

I have a Peerless XLS 10" (830452) that requires a 239mm (~9 - 7/16") cutout.

Can you accomodate the slightly larger cutout diameter while maintaining the same overall size of the enclosure so the spare tire hatch can still be open without obstruction?

Price includes the enclosure carpeted?

If so, you can add me to the list of interested.

I'm on the list for sure. But a friend of mine looked at the area on the trunk and said that the box in the pic should fit a 12"...but however you'd like to make it. 10s hit pretty hard too..so big.. so can you add my name to the list? Thanks

I have a Peerless XLS 10" (830452) that requires a 239mm (~9 - 7/16") cutout.

Can you accomodate the slightly larger cutout diameter while maintaining the same overall size of the enclosure so the spare tire hatch can still be open without obstruction?

Price includes the enclosure carpeted?

If so, you can add me to the list.

I think that your sub should fit, most likely if its a 10" it cant get too much worse to try and fit in there than that JL 10w3 I have :p its a beast of a cage.

I dont think you should ahve any problems with opening the spare tire hatch even if you make a little larger cutout. I just wont pre-drill the holes for you, that way you can place it however you like in there and if you need to cut a little larger you wont have holes to worry about.

And yes, the price will include the carpet pre-laid on the box. It will be pie cut for the enclosure and if you want I can glue it there, or you can opt for me to leave it non-glued in case you do have to cut. (most likely you wont have to cut is my guess...)

Hope this helps.

How thick is that?

Im not exactly sure on how thick it is, probably take 2 quarters and stack them on top of eachother and its about that thick. But as for how sturdy it is... I would feel safe standing on top of this enclosure. Im 185 pounds, so I know its not a whole lot, but its a tough box. I imagine you arent too worried about that though, moreso worried about sound loss through vibration ect... Im no expert on that, but it sounds the same as when I had my box in there, just to my ears though...

pretty nice. Send me a PM when you are caught up. Im actually trying some fiberglassing of my own right now for a custom gauge pod. Wherer the top compartment is that flips open. I made a damn nice mold, and will be adding much more detail to it this week (when I have time). For my first time fiberglassing, I am quite happy with my results. Ill post pics when I am done. I dont want to post how to or anything and have a crappy end result.

But yeah, lmk when you made the others for the people who are already on the list, I would like one.

• 2 months later...

Ok, as an announcement. I have been super busy with work lately. Things havent gone quite as planned on my schedule and have therefore made this project a little bit of a... well... non primary task. Also, that coupled with the fact that I am getting deployed in a month and a bit is going to make this project put on hold for a while. I will let you know when I get back of course, and I will try and continue the box making process then. But most likely that wont be until september :(

So, I know its horrible that I havent actually gotten them done yet (*shakes a fist at work) but I do plan on getting rid of the extra materials in my garage (which means to make them). But as I say, it will be a little while. Hopefully things will cool down a bit by the time im back from deployment.

Thanks for your patience :)

Archived