LegacyGT.com

Big Guns!

direavenger

Damn, this thread has had no responses. It is a repost, but for petes sake someone should have pointed it out. I feel sorry for anyone who would post a thread no one responded to. That is just pathetic, so pathetic that I will try to help you feel better.

Allright, I gave you a comment over there too.

On a more topic related note, I have allways enjoyed watching testosterone overloaded novice shooters whack the hell oout of themselves with too much gun. I used to sell firearms and would invariabley get some moron that wanted the most powerful hunting rifle he could lay his hands on. Then he would cheap out on his optics, and get something with lousy resolution and short eye relief. Down to the rifle tube he would go, fire off his first shot (funny to watch the rifle beat the snot out of him, since shooting from a bench does not allow you to rock with the gun). Then he would observe the strike of the round and creep up on the scope, and on the second shot the scope would come back and cut open his eyebrow. Ah...I could watch that all day, hell it makes me smile just thinking about it. Normally I try to be instructive to new shooters, but some of these jack-asses think they know everything and have the shooting skills of a sniper. Hehehehehe.

Thank you, its always nice to have some support.

I really wish that I had access to guns when I was growing up. My parents never allowed it, and it hasn't been a priority since. Its still in the back of my mind though. I thought it would be nice to shoot some rifles and pistols to gain an appreciation of the power/danger/fun of shooting them. You'd think that I would get some opportunity since I work at Picatinny, but nope. Someday...

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Just go out and get yourself a nice .22 rifle. Like a Ruger 10/22, everyone should own one of those. They can be had for under $200, are cheap and easy to shoot, and are about as reliable as an anvil. Check with the Provost on base and see if you can shoot on some of the ranges. The worst that happens is he/she says no and you have to find a public range.

What the Hell type of gun was that? What do you shoot with that? Airplaines?

Franklin,

That was a double rifle, used for dangerous game like Cape Buffalo, lions, Elephants, Rhinocerous etc. Using a two shot rifle against airplanes would make lots of noise, beat on you shoulder, and waste very expensive ammo. Stop believing all that dumb shit about shooting down aircraft with heavy caliber rifles, leading an aircraft in flight and hitting it with a singe round is extremely difficult. That is why anti-aircraft guns are autoloading cannons that fire rounds with a proximity fuse that will explode as soon as it senses a metal object. Furthermore they are linked up to a radar guidance system that can determine altitude, speed, heading, and the lead needed to get the rounds on target. None of that is a new development, as those systems have been around since WWII because everyone found out that shooting down airplanes from the ground even with a big machine gun was at best a crap shoot.

Now as to shooting up aircraft on the ground, yes I suppose you could do that if you wanted to break stuff but you don't need a big dangerous game rifle or even a .50 BMG rifle to do that. As a side note the first person to try it I predict will be discovered and killed in pretty short order.

Then he would observe the strike of the round and creep up on the scope, and on the second shot the scope would come back and cut open his eyebrow. Ah...I could watch that all day, hell it makes me smile just thinking about it.

:lol: Or the bridge of his nose. :lol: Another is the guy shooting a large caliber handgun for the first time and the forehead wack! :lol: Aw, I'm sick!

http://www.accuratereloading.com/577tyr.html

it's the 577 tyranosaur. Designed to drop charging dangerous game farily quickly. It's essentially a one off rifle.

Its absolutely goddamn frightening how much recoil that thing has. Granted it was a skinny arab who looked ill-prepared for the kick, but jesus! Have you fired that thing, raz?

I have had the pleasure (some wold say misfortune) of sighting in a double rifle for a customer when I sold guns. The one I sighted in was a Westley Richards in .470 Nitro Express. While it was unpleasant, it was not in the category that would knock me over. The Arab had two three things working against him:

1. He did not have the butt of the rifle snug to his shoulder, which allowed the weapon to accelerate into his shoulder harder.

2. He did not fire the weapon from a stance that gave him positive control of the weapon, he did not have his feet planted for example and was not leaning forward at all.

3. He is an Arab, and Allah willed him to have the crap whacked out of him.

He is an Arab, and Allah willed him to have the crap whacked out of him.

Agreed, and the thing that I love the most is the way the cameraman laughs in the first video.

"Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" :lol:

3. He is an Arab, and Allah willed him to have the crap whacked out of him.

thats mean-spirited...

i'd like to see u try it in the same stance.....and see blonde haired blue eyed jesus (and not the jesus that wore similar clothes/head gear) will u to succeed where the arab failed :icon_bigg

thats mean-spirited...

i'd like to see u try it in the same stance.....and see blonde haired blue eyed jesus (and not the jesus that wore similar clothes/head gear) will u to succeed where the arab failed :icon_bigg

Yes I would succeed where our Arab friend failed.

First I would plant the butt of the weapon more firmly in my shoulder, and get more of the butt on my shoulder not just the toe of the butt. By doing this the rifle will not try to torque itself upward as much and will recoil strait back into the soulder.

Second I would not lean back in a target shooter's offhand stance taking a light grasp of the rifle's fore end. That allowed the weaon to fly out of his support hand and whack him in the head, and leaning back put him off ballance in the direction the weapon wanted to recoil.

First I would plant the butt of the weapon more firmly in my shoulder, and get more of the butt on my shoulder not just the toe of the butt. By doing this the rifle will not try to torque itself upward as much and will recoil strait back into the soulder.

Second I would not lean back in a target shooter's offhand stance taking a light grasp of the rifle's fore end. That allowed the weaon to fly out of his support hand and whack him in the head, and leaning back put him off ballance in the direction the weapon wanted to recoil.

So basically what you are saying is if the guy knew how to shoot he would have done better?

So basically what you are saying is if the guy knew how to shoot he would have done better?
Yes, that is what I am saying.

So what does his being Arab have to do with his shooting abilities?

So what does his being Arab have to do with his shooting abilities?

Well my observation of the Arab culture, as well as hands on attempts at instructing Arabs (Iraqis) in proper marksmanship have left me with the opnion that they do not take instruction very well. I don't know if this is becuase of a language barrier, resentment, or (my hunch) typical male resistance to being told what to do. Most of the Iraqi ICDC members we dealt with were firendly, and we had good interpreters, so the first two I think we overcame. The machismo of the Arab culture though, I think may be the problem, it is always a problem when you try to teach a grown man anything but it is worse with cultures that are really male dominated.

Now I will freely admit that many Westerners don't take marksmanship instruction very well, but Arabs are particullarly bad about it. I have coached marksmanship both in the Marine Corps, and on the civilian side when I shot for SMSU and have observed a reasonably wide demographic of shooters and their habits on the range. I know my statements are not poltically correct, and there are exceptions to any statement but for the most part I will stand by my explanation. Ask your soldiers how well the Iraqis typically handle their weapons compared to your troopers, I think they will back up my assertion.

Well my observation of the Arab culture, as well as hands on attempts at instructing Arabs (Iraqis) in proper marksmanship have left me with the opnion that they do not take instruction very well. I don't know if this is becuase of a language barrier, resentment, or (my hunch) typical male resistance to being told what to do. Most of the Iraqi ICDC members we dealt with were firendly, and we had good interpreters, so the first two I think we overcame. The machismo of the Arab culture though, I think may be the problem, it is always a problem when you try to teach a grown man anything but it is worse with cultures that are really male dominated.

Now I will freely admit that many Westerners don't take marksmanship instruction very well, but Arabs are particullarly bad about it. I have coached marksmanship both in the Marine Corps, and on the civilian side when I shot for SMSU and have observed a reasonably wide demographic of shooters and their habits on the range. I know my statements are not poltically correct, and there are exceptions to any statement but for the most part I will stand by my explanation. Ask your soldiers how well the Iraqis typically handle their weapons compared to your troopers, I think they will back up my assertion.

Good answer. What you are saying is in your experience...

Not. All Arabic men shoot poorly.

You are still in the service? I know I could go back and do a search and figure out the answer but it is easier for me to ask you:)

My sister is law is Iranian. Born in Iran and lived there until she was 16. She is 34 now.

Archived