LegacyGT.com

Impressions of Tribeca

Ok, so I had to get a few things looked at on my LGT at the dealership yesterday. Unfortunately they wont authorize the window crack until Monday when their service rep comes back, so I will have to go down there Monday to see if they will fix it for free *fingers crossed*

Ok... So as a loaner car they didnt have an outback, or a legacy, and I didnt really want to drive a forester around. So they gave me a Tribeca. Not bad I think...

Ok, so first impressions, Sport shift mode, yay... MP3 Support W00T!!!, steering wheel controls for the stereo - that was kinda fun, but confusing going from shifters up there... there were a few track changes and volume adjustments not meant to happen ;) It had a fairly smooth ride, comfortable, ect.

Thats about where the good things stop. So, Im in Dallas and traffic is horrible, so Im gonna try and get out in front of these cars... *Pushes pedal through the floor* (Now, I didnt expect it to have the get up that my Legacy has, but come on... My Dodge Grand Caravan had more balls.) *** VRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM**** RAWRRRRRR***** 20MPH, 22, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29...... come on 30... Ok, so maybe not that bad, but still...

Ok, so power brake it... *VRRRRRRRRRRRRRR............. Launch... WTF... it launched SLOWER???? How the hell?!?! Ok... hrmm... traction control.... turn off... w00t.... *Power brake again... *VRRRRRRRR..... Launch... Putt Putt Putt... launches about the same... ughh...

So, lets see.... glass of water on the dashboard... lets see if I can get that sucker to fall off.... VVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... ROOOMMMMM!!!! glass of water basically slides towards the front of the car, not backwards... is that even possible? Negative acceleration??? How the heck?

The brakes, wow... They are very touchy IMO. They worked very well though. I think those brakes will stop on a BB, stuff the dime, thats too large... lol.

Overall: I really liked the ride, the MP3, steering wheel controls, and comfort factor. But they seriously need to give that thing some balls. And it did feel a little top heavy as well, I know its a SUV, but I didnt like the floaty feel and the top heaviness...

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I also drove one when my car was in for servicing. I was very impressed. I would consider one even with the power if they just cleaned up the styling. The interior was great. 7 passenger seating for emergencies (I dont need a minivan size SUV) Handling was nice. Overall a really nice car....just needs a redesign.

Wouln't mind a Tribeca except:

Where's the power, and what were they thinking when they authorised the front? A car should grab you immediately when you look at it. If you have to wait a few weeks for its appearance to be appealing, then something's not right.

An old aeronautical saw: If it looks right, it is right.

I agree the front end could look better but the vehicle is not that bad.

http://www.subaru.com/media/image/2006/b9_tribeca/limited5-passenger/obsidianblackpearl.jpg

As far as being underpowered...well, I have not had the opportunity to drive one so I will have to take your word for it.:)

compared to most SUVs the Tribeca is not underpowered.... compared to a GT or WRX it is underpowered.

I think the belief that the Tribeca is underpowered stems from the fact that we as Subaru owners set a higher standard for vehicles then most. The Tribeca probably has more power then most comparable SUV's but when you consider it is a subaru we as Subaru enthusiast just expect more of a Subaru.

I think the belief that the Tribeca is underpowered stems from the fact that we as Subaru owners set a higher standard for vehicles then most. The Tribeca probably has more power then most comparable SUV's but when you consider it is a subaru we as Subaru enthusiast just expect more of a Subaru.

Actually, I can't think of a single midsized SUV with a smaller engine (displacement) than the Tribeca (ok, a base Hyundai Santa Fe, at half the price!). At only 219 lbs of torque, it's a weakling among midsized SUVs with v8s or 3.5 or 4.0L v6s. Even the Highlander has a 3.3L v6 has a little more torque at 22 lbs but it's 300lbs lighter.

It's because it's a Subaru that we expect more from it, not less.

I considered a Tribeca, until I saw one in person. It's ugly, IMHO. Also, the 3rd row is a joke. Kids would have a hard time back there (unless they don't have legs). And it's underpowered. 3 strikes. I would have loved to have bought one, but there's a lot out there that's much better.

tom :)

Archived