LegacyGT.com

shaky Idle anybody have this problem?

Yeah. Just got my '05 GT Ltd MT last week and I've definitely noticed a shake at idle. I just assumed it had something to do with the boxer style engine. Doesn't bother me because it's pretty mild, but I do feel it.

The car is going to shake a little. Its the nature of the engine. Most all subies have a slight shake. If it was shaking abnormal, you would know it.

I had a cam sensor go about 10k mi. ago and it caused a horrid shake when idling. To the point where you could tell the car was violently shaking from outside. You'd know if somehting was wrong.

I'd think it is most likely the engine mounts subaru used. This way when shifting the engine does not jump much and is mounted solid to the frame. I asked a friend if he could fabricate some stronger engine mounts out of metal plates and polyurethane since he had fabricated more than 500 for sale for the celica crowd. He decided that the mounts are a bit different and he didn't feel like attacking the project.

I'd think it is most likely the engine mounts subaru used. This way when shifting the engine does not jump much and is mounted solid to the frame. I asked a friend if he could fabricate some stronger engine mounts out of metal plates and polyurethane since he had fabricated more than 500 for sale for the celica crowd. He decided that the mounts are a bit different and he didn't feel like attacking the project.

My 1992 Accord had hydraulic engine mounts. When the car was under (I think) 1k rpms the engine mounts loosened up so that the vibration wouldn't be felt. As the RPMS increased, the engine mounts would tighten since the engine needed tigher mounts at higher rps and the engine is smoother at higher RPMS. I thought that was some really cool engineering. Worked very very well. That is why my 4 cylinder felt smoother than a V6 at idle. Not sure if Honda/Acura still does this........

Archived