LegacyGT.com

revotec strut tower bar installed

OCDetails

Nice walk-through and thanks for posting it up.

When I installed the Whiteline FSB on my 98 LGTs and my 99 L Wagon, my process was nearly identical to your's. The only process step that was different, was that I did not torque the nuts down on the strut tops until AFTER I had added the bar to the mounts at both ends, then I tightened the strut tops and then the two bar end bolts.

This way you don't preload one side of the other relative to the bar itself. In the long run, probably a negligible change but it has worked flawlessly for me with no binding issues whatsoever... and I can take the bar off quickly and reinstall it with a minimum of effort.

Realize that mine were 2nd generation Legacys so the resistance to torsional flex is not nearly as strong as my 05 (4th gen) but I can tell you that the FSB makes a significant difference on the 2nd gens.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I installed mine Saturday. Does any one get a small rattle when taking off slowly on first? I am getting it, and I see the right corner of the plastic engine cover is slightly touching the bar.

Is as good as it gets for 40 bucks, so don't expect perfect welds, or top quality materials.

---

I installed mine Saturday. Does any one get a small rattle when taking off slowly on first? I am getting it, and I see the right corner of the plastic engine cover is slightly touching the bar.

Is as good as it gets for 40 bucks, so don't expect perfect welds, or top quality materials.

I get this also, I am working on a quick fix now...

THANK YOU thats been bothering me for while.

Denial is your best friend

I noticed a rattle too. I thought it was due to a broken plastic pop screw thing, so I took the cover off till I bought another one. The rattle went away as soon as I took the cover off and I haven't reinstalled it yet. I'll have to check for the rattle when I put it back on. What are you guys doing to eliminate it?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I am thinking either cutting a little peice off, or getting some sort of foam cushion for it. I tis not as noticeable to me now, but it is still there. I have some foan cushion that may just do the trick, but I won't be sure until I look at it more closely. It'll be interesting to see what others come up with.

X

---

I installed mine today...I notice a little difference in turns, but like most say, it's pretty much just for show...

as for the rattle...did you guys get that after having it on for a little while...cause both my girlfriend and I couldn't hear one?

I heard it the next day. I took the cover off and it went away. I haven't put the cover back on yet to know if that was the problem. It didn't appear to be touching although I could have missed seeing it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

As long as it doesn't go back further or go taller than the OEM IC then it should work fine. However, if your performance priorities include upgrading your factory IC, then you might want to consider a bar that has a little stronger reputation. There isn't anything about this bar that worries me, but I wouldn't put a cheap bar on a car that obviously has expensive upgrades. It's like wearing a real Rolex and fake Oakleys.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 3 weeks later...

So do we have a procedure for fixing the rattle? After about 400 miles on the bar, I started to notice the rattle. Same thing, only slowly taking off in first. If you guys have found a solution, please post up some directions. I'd love to futz with it, but time is not one of my friends. Thanks!

Impressions - so far, so good, car definitely feels much flatter through turns. Installed it on Thursday; haven't pushed it yet since I wanted to have the bar on for a little while to be able to readjust/tighten, then I made a 400 mile roadtrip. When I get back to Richmond Sun/Monday, I'm sure I'll put it through some twisties to really see how it works.

So far, $42 shipped - I can't complain for the performance. Of course, the bling looks nice too. Now to get the stutter / rattle under control.

• 1 year later...

ordered a set of front and rear last night. i'm assuming no one jacked up his car when installing the bar since no one mentioned it? maybe it's just a myth. :iam:

also, still no solution for the rattle? :confused:

ordered a set of front and rear last night. i'm assuming no one jacked up his car when installing the bar since no one mentioned it? maybe it's just a myth. :iam:

also, still no solution for the rattle? :confused:

Look one post up;)

Denial is your best friend

^ while your solution is great but i meant a reversible solution in case we ever need to remove these cheap bars in the future...perhaps a little foam stuff? but that would take away the blink factor. :lol:

^ while your solution is great but i meant a reversible solution in case we ever need to remove these cheap bars in the future...perhaps a little foam stuff? but that would take away the blink factor. :lol:

If you're worried about how the cover will look if you don't have the strut tower bar on, just remove the engine cover all together. It's just there for aesthetics anyway.

Archived