LegacyGT.com

Why no aftermarket support for N/A Legacy's?

Anyone have just and axle back on an NA car yet. If so what and sound clips would be great. Out of the axle backs i've found i'm leaning towards either the Cobb or Prodrive. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Tolly

One of the guys has some aftermarket magnaflows welded on axle-back, w/ stock tips. If you go for an off the shelf axle back, I would choose the Prodrive. SO sexy looking, sounding. I just wish they were a little shorter w/ the tips. That ruins the look for me. Sticks out too far. But I would still get it, if that's the cans I wanted...but I want dual tip.:icon_bigg

I am glad to hear that the axleback exhausts from the GT will fit the 2.5i. This might keep me from having to go the complete custom route. How come the catback exhausts from the GT don't fit? Are they really that different?

I am glad to hear that the axleback exhausts from the GT will fit the 2.5i. This might keep me from having to go the complete custom route. How come the catback exhausts from the GT don't fit? Are they really that different?

It's not that they don't fit. The piping diameter on the GT exhausts is too large for our cars. They will actually be detrimental to our performance. No point in anything larger than 2.25" piping for our cars, most GT cat backs are 3", except for the Borla, which is still a 2.5" :)

I was wondering if the Borla was 3in or 2.5, just really didnt find anyplace that came out and said it. That may change plans, consideirng the Prodrive axleback is around 600 and the borla catback can be found for around 750 to 800.

Tolly

07 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

What is the diameter of the exhaust on our 2.5i's to begin with? If it is 2.25 then 2.5 inches may not be that bad. If it is 2.0inches then I could see that might be too much of an increase. I also would rather have an entire catback for not much more than just 2 mufflers.

What is the diameter of the exhaust on our 2.5i's to begin with? If it is 2.25 then 2.5 inches may not be that bad. If it is 2.0inches then I could see that might be too much of an increase. I also would rather have an entire catback for not much more than just 2 mufflers.

I dont think it's any more than 2 inches, if not smaller. From all the reading I've done, unless you are making a lot of high end power, 2.25 is the most needed. This is one of those never ending debates in the Subaru world. :)

Well if nobody else has done it yet i'll be the first to try the Borla Catback designed for the GT on my NA once i see how much the Govt owes me back.

I had a 4cyl Cavalier that had 2.5in Catback with a straight through Dynomax ultraflow muffler on it, and yes there was a little low end torque loss it was nothing that hurt the driveability/performance of the car and i know the Subaru has plenty of low end torque so if i lose a little i dont think it will be very noticable.

Tolly

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

brokily - The LGT exhaust will not work between the engine and the mufflers since it's N/A v.s Turbo. The N/A version has the exhaust manifold->Cat converters->mid-pipe->mufflers. Whereas the turbo version is up-pipe to turbo, down-pipe from turbo, intermediate cat pipe, mid-pipe and then mufflers. Factory N/A exhaust piping is 1 7/8" diameter.

NALegacy - The gains from our equal-length 4-2-1 header with the supporting exhaust modifications (ie: cat-back) is ~25lb-ft torque and 16whp. It basically lifts the factory power curve higher, as well as allowing the motor to rev much more smoothly up to redline.

brokily - The LGT exhaust will not work between the engine and the mufflers since it's N/A v.s Turbo. The N/A version has the exhaust manifold->Cat converters->mid-pipe->mufflers. Whereas the turbo version is up-pipe to turbo, down-pipe from turbo, intermediate cat pipe, mid-pipe and then mufflers. Factory N/A exhaust piping is 1 7/8" diameter.

NALegacy - The gains from our equal-length 4-2-1 header with the supporting exhaust modifications (ie: cat-back) is ~25lb-ft torque and 16whp. It basically lifts the factory power curve higher, as well as allowing the motor to rev much more smoothly up to redline.

So are you saying that there are differences in the factory exhaust behind the cat between the NA and Turbo cars? I would have assumed that Subaru would have kept the cat back (midpipe, y section and mufflers) the same or as similar as possibe to keep cost down. I havent seen a good shot of the underside of a turbo car to comapre the Catback to my NA car. Any info would be great, as i plan to get exhaust of some kind once the govt pays me back.

Thanks

Tolly

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I believe that the catback systems for the N/A and GT would be similar from the final cat. backwards. From what I have seen, this is what I am thinking. Ion, or whomever is talking. sorry I don't remember what your name is:), is correct in the exhaust path, but I am pretty sure that the systems are "basically" the same...

Well screw waiting for the Govt, orderd the Borla Catback (and K&N filter)tonight from MD Turbo, great deal right now from them $725 and i'm in PA so only $17 shipping via Fed Ex. So i'll report back when i get it and put it on.

Tolly

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

trohler - the cat-back will not completely bolt on. You will have to have the mid-pipe modified to fit. The rear axle portion should fit though.

hmmm... that explains why the shop re-did that section. i was wondering why didn't they just do it straight from the muffler.. but that answer it.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Just to clarify for someone coming in late - mufflers (AKA axelbacks) designed to fit the '05-'06 LGT will fit N/A's (aka 2.5i) as well.

The wagons have longer tips than sedans, but are otherwise interchangeable. OEM and, I think, some aftermarket axelbacks have tips that can be easily remounted to make up some of the difference.

And Outbacks will require 4 longer hangers to avoid rubbing the bumper.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I'm going the custom exhaust route...but the Magnaflows I will be getting have a 2.25" inlet. Is this too much? I was going to be running 2.25" piping all the way back, split to the y...but w/ these mufflers it would then go to 2.25" on each muffler. Will this cause any issues for me? I'm thiinking this would be less than ideal...but am also thinking it wouldn't be significant in disadvantages... :confused:

Sounds like my now-deferred Plan A - altough I was going to use only one muffler.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived