LegacyGT.com

Owner Recognition

There was something interesting that happened to me the other day, and I was wondering if anyone else had experience this. I was with my girlfriend and her parents and we were heading out for dinner. I was driving my brand new 2005 Subaru Legacy GT (RBP) through my apartment complex, and I notice that coming my way was a black 2005 Legacy GT. Oh, on a side note, the car looks amazing in person, hope he thought the same of mine, he had the rear spoiler. As we drive past each other, we made eye contact and ever so subtly gave each other the nod, saying to the other guy "nice car." I dont know if its because its new, but it just felt kind of cool to get and give mutual admiration for a car that is relatively unknown in the marketplace (for the time being). Wonder if we should start a trend- start waving and congratulating people on their new Legacies- I know I find myself doing that naturally. And I can honestly say that I have never seen Accord, Camry, or 3-series owners do the same.

Funny you should say this. I did the same thing not long ago. There's definitely something about the new GT that makes is so special. I think it's a combination of the interior, power, handling, and price. It's the thinking person's car. I love my GT so much, every day I feel like driving it for hours. The only other car that I would rather have is a Lambo Gallardo (in my dreams).

[quote name='tallguylehigh']There was something interesting that happened to me the other day, and I was wondering if anyone else had experience this. I was with my girlfriend and her parents and we were heading out for dinner. I was driving my brand new 2005 Subaru Legacy GT (RBP) through my apartment complex, and I notice that coming my way was a black 2005 Legacy GT. Oh, on a side note, the car looks amazing in person, hope he thought the same of mine, he had the rear spoiler. As we drive past each other, we made eye contact and ever so subtly gave each other the nod, saying to the other guy "nice car." I dont know if its because its new, but it just felt kind of cool to get and give mutual admiration for a car that is relatively unknown in the marketplace (for the time being). Wonder if we should start a trend- start waving and congratulating people on their new Legacies- I know I find myself doing that naturally. And I can honestly say that I have never seen Accord, Camry, or 3-series owners do the same.[/quote] It's just the Subaru wave! I wave to all Subaru owners (mostly WRXs though) when I drove my WRX, and still do it in my Legacy.

I have yet to see a fellow GT Sedan driver where I live. A couple of WRX guys gave me a wave, however. In the "old days," Audi drivers used to give each other the four finger wave (for four rings) but in the last few years it all fell away. It started that way in the WRX in 2002, but soon enough clueless people had them and didn't understand why I was waving.

I have not seen another 05 Legacy on the road, and I don't mind that. I should take delivery of mine in under 12 days hopefully. It's cool about the recognition thing. Supra guys did that as well, and I would think Miata. I think it has to do with special cars. When I bought the GT, the salesman said the GT is special, BMW is special, but Honda and Acura cars aren't. As nice as they are, they are not "legendary". Not like the 280z, or the Supra, or WRX, BMWs etc. I drive a Maxima and I almost never race another Nissan. Has to do with respect. I do like to beat on Acuras, Hondas, domestics, etc.

[quote name='wunderkind']The old 2.5RS owners do this many many years ago. It's such a rare car. I still wave/flick lights to the GC8 RS. But not the newer models. too common.[/quote] It's not that they're "too common" it's that newer owners don't get it. Also kids are getting their hands on these (WRXs) and want to race whenever they see another. :x I've only seen one Silver 2.5GT, and that was down my friend's street. The owner was nowhere to be found.

I had one of the first wrx's when they came out in 01, and those of us with the bugeyes used to wave to each other. But there were never many wrx's around where I am for some reason, so it was much more exclusive. I haven't seen another GT yet, and only one other legacy--it was a silver wagon with two older people getting in, and I saw the wife comment to the husband and they both looked over and smiled and nodded. Its like being a Mason or something hahaha...we need rings and secret handshakes...;P

I drove a WRX for over 2 years and allways waved to fellow WRX drivers. I still wave to them in my legacy, and get a few waves back. I'll also wave to GT owners when I see them on the road, I'll probalby get a few weird looks from some people, but its nice when they wave back.

[quote name='scubie02']I had one of the first wrx's when they came out in 01, and those of us with the bueyes used to wave to each other. But there were never many wrx's around where I am for some reason, so it was much more exclusive. I haven't seen another GT yet, and onky one other legacy--it was a silver wagon with two older people getting in, and I saw the wife comment to the husband and they both looked over and smiled and nodded. Its like being a Mason or something hahaha...we needs rings and secret handshakes...;P[/quote] Stonecutters!!!111

I was pedalling home last night and saw a guy in an LL Bean Outback. I said "Nice Outback," and he sped up. Must have thought I was some kind of freak. :lol: So I caught him and said I had a Legacy wagon, and did he like his Outback. "Yes (insert sound of maxed-out H6 here)." :lol: Kevin

[quote name='UrQ']In the "old days," Audi drivers used to give each other the four finger wave (for four rings) but in the last few years it all fell away.[/quote] I give other Subaru drivers the Subie one finger wave, using the middle one to represent the engine block with two pistons on each side. They almost always wave back enthusiastically!

[quote name='momomax']back in the day, I used to drive a pontiac firebird. We just flipped each other the bird! :lol:[/quote] Funny guy! hehe. Here is one... NISMO is Nissan Motorsports. So Subaru Motorsports would be SUMO, and Honda Motorsports HOMO. Blah, lame :roll:

Archived