LegacyGT.com

(repost?) Launch Techniques...

Heavy clutch! ROTFLMAO My old GT clutch was heavy, and I liked that. Not quite truck heavy, but it was perfect IMO. I think you guys need to work on strengthening that clutch foot of yours. Cuz you really have to be weak to not work that clutch easily. :lol:

[quote name='SUBE555']Heavy clutch! ROTFLMAO My old GT clutch was heavy, and I liked that. Not quite truck heavy, but it was perfect IMO. I think you guys need to work on strengthening that clutch foot of yours. Cuz you really have to be weak to not work that clutch easily. :lol:[/quote] I don't really have a problem with it, because my last car was twice as hard. However it's still 20x as much as an A4. I wasn't expecting that seeing the specs as a hydraulic clutch

[quote name='Deer Killer']hmm.. You know I think MT5's would be a lot more acceptible if the clutch wasn't so heavy. Is there any assist in our cars? Driving an audi, the clutch is lighter than the gas pedal :)[/quote] ROFLCOPTER It's funny because a couple of friend's drove my WRX and complained of how "heavy" it was too. Felt completely normal to me until I drove his Accord 5sp. Holy CRAP was it soft! I prefer the slightly "heavy" feel.

Anyone driven the Acura TSX 6spd....that was a light clutch...and short too. I liked it, one of the smoothest standards i have ever driven, but it took most of the test drive to get used to it...kept bringing it out a little too quick cause I was used to a slightly heavier feel. Too bad that car was about 30-50 HP short of what it should have been :cry: Oh well, just have to show it the rear end of my GT as i fly by it... :D

I like a heavier clutch. Easier to modulate IMO. Too light and your foot wants to go right through the floor in a second. Clutch modulation is one reason I still love sticks over autos. More control. I don't mind working it a little either.

[quote name='"Drift Monkey"'][quote name='"john.di.martino"'][quote name='"Drift Monkey"'][quote name='john.di.martino'] Probably because I am an avid MT driver. Simply put, the 5EAT just doesn't respond as quick and give me the control I crave from a 5MT transmission. A MT just gives a fuller experience. Not dissing the 5EAT owners, but those who got the auto are probably communting and don't feel like shifting or have a SO that doesn't drive MT, otherwise, why not get the MT?[/quote] I am also an avid MT driver. Always have been. All my other car are MT. My wife also drives MT. I got the 5eat because the MT version was not available in Australia. It took some getting used too however now I am glad that the MT was not available as I would probably never have considered the 5eat. I don't agree with your statement about the 5EAT not responding quickly. Mine responds just as quick as a MT when I put the 5eat in manual mode. Have you driven the 5eat? I dont mean just a test drive. Why does the MT give you more control? John

[quote name='john.di.martino']I am also an avid MT driver. Always have been. All my other car are MT. My wife also drives MT. I got the 5eat because the MT version was not available in Australia. It took some getting used too however now I am glad that the MT was not available as I would probably never have considered the 5eat. I don't agree with your statement about the 5EAT not responding quickly. Mine responds just as quick as a MT when I put the 5eat in manual mode. Have you driven the 5eat? I dont mean just a test drive. Why does the MT give you more control? John[/quote] More control because of clutch modulation. Have you driven then MT? It's worlds apart from a 5EAT.

I would tend to believe that more than 60 or 70% of the Legacy Sedans are sold with the 5eat vs the MT, after all...folks...this is a [b]4-door sedan[/b] and not a crotch rocket (even though I like the acceleration) It does surprise me that people actually take these sedans to the track... :D Mark 2005 Legacy GT Limited Sedan

[quote name='Drift Monkey'] More control because of clutch modulation. Have you driven then MT? It's worlds apart from a 5EAT.[/quote] More control because of clutch modulation? So your saying sports cars with SMG boxes have no control because of no clutch. I think your exagerating when you say the 5EAT is worlds apart from the 5eat. The MT is better than the 5eat in itsability to have better launches. I also agree that a MT car has a feeling of being more involved. Once you get used to the 5eat's manual mode from my experience I do not miss my manual cars.

[quote name='john.di.martino'][quote name='Drift Monkey'] More control because of clutch modulation. Have you driven then MT? It's worlds apart from a 5EAT.[/quote] More control because of clutch modulation? So your saying sports cars with SMG boxes have no control because of no clutch. I think your exagerating when you say the 5EAT is worlds apart from the 5eat. The MT is better than the 5eat in itsability to have better launches. I also agree that a MT car has a feeling of being more involved. Once you get used to the 5eat's manual mode from my experience I do not miss my manual cars.[/quote] I would still pick a MT or Sequential MT over a AT, SMG or not, but that's a different story. On our particuar vehicles, I feel the MT better suits me, having driven both. Perhaps when you get a chance to drive the 5MT, you'll understand...

Archived