LegacyGT.com

Searched - Wind noise from windshield area?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I could hear mine as low as 45.:icon_mad: No TSB as far as I can tell (or the dealer could find) for Legacies; I think there was one for the forrester.:iam:

Hey Ski -

Sorry to bug you again. Can you try to describe for me WHAT your noise was? Was it just a lot of wind noise? Like wind "rushing air" noise? Or actual whistles like something was leaking?

Is yours an 06? Was in built in Indiana? Trying to figure out some sort of pattern, if in fact something is wrong with mine. Dealer tells me mine is ok. But I can't believe my 2006 Legacy would be as loud as my old soft top Jeep Wrangler. Its like, the tires and engine are so quiet, that all I can hear is air/wind. But they say thats normal....

I know someone else said they had windshield issues too. Just thinking maybe there is a cerain VIN range that might be affected, but Subaru isn't concerned because its pretty small in the big scheme of their sales numbers. But I have not received my survey or CR survey in the mail yet. Hope they read this, haha.

Thanks!

I traded in my '05 Impreza because of wind noise -- only to find that my new '06 Legacy has just about as much noise too! Mine is not a whistle but more of a whir. Seems to be coming from both side mirrors. After a trip to the shop, the dealer had the audacity to tell me that it was one of the quietest that he had in. --bad sign?

I traded in my '05 Impreza because of wind noise -- only to find that my new '06 Legacy has just about as much noise too! Mine is not a whistle but more of a whir. Seems to be coming from both side mirrors. After a trip to the shop, the dealer had the audacity to tell me that it was one of the quietest that he had in. --bad sign?

I am almost sure mine is coming from the windshield area. Though I have heard that the mirrors on these cars are not installed well. Apparently the side mirrors have been problems for several years now. But of course there is no official word on if the 2006 models are "fixed" because Subaru doesn't admit that they ever had a problem before....though I had a weird feeling about buying another car with frameless windows, but I really don't hear the noise from there.

Who knows, maybe it is not "right", but if all Subes do it, then its considered normal. I understand most Subaru buyers probably don't care. But the more they try to go upscale (B9, sedans pushing $30k that aren't WRX models), they better understand that for that money, people expect a certain level of refinement. I don't see why its so hard - its not like anti-windnoise technology is so cutting edge that it can't be implemented by Subaru.

I have the same wind noise on my 06 GT which sounds like it is coming from the top center of the windshield. The sound I hear is like the sunroof is open just a tiny bit and the sound is much worse when it is windy or I am traveling into the wind. Last week during a good windy day, after putting a strip of duct tape across the top of the windshield and roof, I drove into the wind and the noise was gone with the tape on and reappeared after taking the tape off. The dealership made an appointment tomorrow with a glass company to either reseal or replace the windshield.

I have the same wind noise on my 06 GT which sounds like it is coming from the top center of the windshield. The sound I hear is like the sunroof is open just a tiny bit and the sound is much worse when it is windy or I am traveling into the wind. Last week during a good windy day, after putting a strip of duct tape across the top of the windshield and roof, I drove into the wind and the noise was gone with the tape on and reappeared after taking the tape off. The dealership made an appointment tomorrow with a glass company to either reseal or replace the windshield.

Mine was very similar, and I did the painters tape trick too. Same results. Plus, mine was worse when it was cold. Mine was also coming frrom the top center of the windshield. I drove 2 other Legacies & they were quite noticeably better.

Another way to describe the sound is just like the buffeting sound you hear when on the highway & there is a strong cross wind. It was just like that, only constant. Unfortunately the buffeting noise remains with strong cross winds.:icon_mad:

Interesting, thanks! I am thinking they wouldn't need to replace the windshield, just add some insulation under the black rubber part that sits between the glass and the body.

Unfortunately, my dealer isn't known for its service. I am dreading this...I bought a Subaru because its supposed to be so good per Consumer Reports and stuff.

:(

I hear ya on buying a Subie for their reliability. As to dealers, I drove 120 miles to get to a good one. Fortunately I was able to combione trips so I was "kinda" in the area anyway. They replaced the windshield & did an alignment in 2.5 hours. Meanwhile I took the loaner Forester (NA:( & auto of corse) to the mall & hung out a bit.

Hey Ski and Old Grumpy:

I won't ask for your VINS, but the last eight of mine is 67212942. Are your VINS close at all to mine?

Trying to figure out of there are a bad batch of windshields....

I know Ski is in Florida, where are you Grumpy? Are all these cars that were bound for the East Coast?

Thanks for helping me out. Just trying to get as much back up info as possible for when the dealer and/or SOA tries to act like I am crazy, haha.

Thanks. See, mine was built in Jan 06. You would think that they would have done some sort of quality control checks at the factory between October and January. I am dissappointed in SOA.

Thanks again for the info!

I am located close to Asheville NC. Last five are 12854 and it was an ordered unit that was built about 5 to 6 weeks ago. They just finished resealing the windshield so I will know today if that fixed the problem.

In case my dealer wants to call yours to see exactly what was wrong, would you mind telling me what dealer did the work for you with regard to resealing windshield?

Thanks a lot.

Hey Ski -

Sorry to bug you again. Can you try to describe for me WHAT your noise was? Was it just a lot of wind noise? Like wind "rushing air" noise? Or actual whistles like something was leaking?

Is yours an 06? Was in built in Indiana? Trying to figure out some sort of pattern, if in fact something is wrong with mine. Dealer tells me mine is ok. But I can't believe my 2006 Legacy would be as loud as my old soft top Jeep Wrangler. Its like, the tires and engine are so quiet, that all I can hear is air/wind. But they say thats normal....

I know someone else said they had windshield issues too. Just thinking maybe there is a cerain VIN range that might be affected, but Subaru isn't concerned because its pretty small in the big scheme of their sales numbers. But I have not received my survey or CR survey in the mail yet. Hope they read this, haha.

Thanks!

I get the same thing. Check this out....I took it to the dealer and the service manager noticed immediately that "it was leaking" and needed to be fixed. Then the District Manager "happened" to be in the area drove it, he said it was normal and it did not get fixed. I know its an air leak in the moulding behind the rearview mirror...I get the windnoise above 55 mph. I'm taking it to another dealership... My 3rd.

Oh, and I have an '05...

I am going to test drive another car just like mine tomorrow. If mine makes the noise and that one doesn't, they will have no choice but to believe me.

Worse case, if not covered under warranty, I could have a good windshield guy come out and remove the black rubber molding, put some goo in, and reseal the black molding right? I mean, to me, this shouldn't be rocket science. Maybe just a little messy.

What scares me is the potential, if work is done sloppy, to make more leaks in different places.

Of course, this morning, its colder than normal, and my dash board is popping over bumps. My car has about 600 miles on it. :iam:

I should have come to this board BEFORE purchasing! Telling myself, all cars make noise, and the pros still outweigh the cons, haha.

Hey Grump -

Thanks. When you pick it up, maybe ask for some details on exactly what they did. That way, if I have to do this myself, I have a better idea. Was it a simple job like I am thinking it would be?

I called SOA yesterday, they gave me a case number. They just wanted me off the phone. Not impressed.

Hope your reseal worked! How did it look? The black rubber part still sitting flush? Looks put back together well?

My noise is coming from my left rear door. The weather strip that runs on top of the doors is bad or installed incorrectly. I thought my noise was coming from the windshield, but a friend was in the back seat and heard the rear door leaking.
Life is short - be happy:)

I've read about this usually being from the side view mirrors, where they mount to the door. The area might not be sealed perfectly--I guess that area is very sensitive to even the slightest imperfections. You might want to eyeball it for any seams or gaps.

So this might be the noise I am hearing from my passenger side door near the mirror. I'll check it out this weekend.

My noise is gone. AHHHH quiet. The repair was very simple. The dealership had a local windshield company come to my house to reseal the windshield. The repair took all of 15 minutes, by pulling down the headliner enough to get to the top of the windshield from inside the car, they put sealant on the top section of the glass, let the headliner pop back up, made sure there was no mess and left. I checked today and no noise. I took it up to 90 to make sure. I am so happy to have this resolved and have quiet back.

I am so jealous! A big congrats to you!

Pulled down the headliner? Is the headliner still in good condition? So they didn't pull off the outside black rubber stuff? Does you car have the sunroof? Does the headliner have tabs that keep it in place above the windshield?

So 15 minutes would be rounded up to one hours worth of labor. I am probably just going to call a windshield company myself. SOA and the dealer are accusing me of literally being crazy because I expect my car to be quiet. I can't wait for my Consumer Reports survey!

SOA and the dealer are accusing me of literally being crazy because I expect my car to be quiet. I can't wait for my Consumer Reports survey!
This is my major regret about buying Subaru vs Audi, etc, etc. They honestly don't give a crap, even about stuff dealers are can take care of (i.e. not stuttering). Despite the value proposition it really bothers me. If only the IS350 came in stick and AWD.. *sigh*

SOA I hope you're reading.

Archived