LegacyGT.com

Opinion on enclosure for JL 12W3-D4?

bashopoem

Hi. I have a JL Audio 12W3-D4 sub and a sealed enclosure that is 1.21 cubic feet (16 1/2"W x 13 1/2"H x 13 1/2"D). JL recommends a 1.25 cu ft sealed box for this sub, so, in your opinion, should i try to offset the difference with polyfill, or do you think it is close enough to still get good sound? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

If that box is built with 3/4-inch material it has a gross volume of 1.25 cu.ft. based on the dimensions you provided. The 12W3 displaces 0.07 cu.ft. of air inside the box, so your net volume is actually 1.18 cu.ft.

You're only off by about 5.5% so that's pretty close to spec and should be fine. If you want to add one pound of polyfill that will help a bit but it won't be a dramatic difference.

Good luck!

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

If that box is built with 3/4-inch material it has a gross volume of 1.25 cu.ft. based on the dimensions you provided. The 12W3 displaces 0.07 cu.ft. of air inside the box, so your net volume is actually 1.18 cu.ft.

You're only off by about 5.5% so that's pretty close to spec and should be fine. If you want to add one pound of polyfill that will help a bit but it won't be a dramatic difference.

Good luck!

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

thank you, manville! i appreciate it.

Archived