LegacyGT.com

That pesky trailer hitch...

The great news, after eight long weeks (two without any car at all), I finally picked up my silver Legacy GT Limited Sedan! Couldn't be more happy with the car and I simply don't miss the WRX in the least. I haven't taken her past 4000rpm and still there is enough power available to make the WRX wagon a distant memory. The sunroof makes me very happy as well. I ended up getting an amazing three-year lease for only $300.00 a month. I couldn't get that smoking deal with the extra $1000.00 required for the wagon, even though a wagon fits my lifestyle better. As a result, I needed the trailer hitch (Opie will remember that post!) installed so I have a way to transport my bicycles (used to just put them in the back of the WRX with the seats folded down.) The dealer fought me for about three days about the hitch, saying the Legacy Sedan isn't meant for towing. After much gnashing of teeth, I signed an agreement saying I would use the hitch only for a bike rack and carrying my 17-20 pound bicycles! Because of the lease, they technically still own the car and have the right to dictate this to me, it seems. Fellow cyclists out there, beware! You may have to fight for that hitch on the sedan. Todd

So what brand of hitch did you get? How hard was it to install? Photos? It's strange they would fight you like that, because any car can tow a small trailer. The Miata I autocross has no problems with a little trailer that holds a set of tires and a tool box. -Nick

[quote name='UrQ']The great news, after eight long weeks (two without any car at all), I finally picked up my silver Legacy GT Limited Sedan! Couldn't be more happy with the car and I simply don't miss the WRX in the least. I haven't taken her past 4000rpm and still there is enough power available to make the WRX wagon a distant memory. The sunroof makes me very happy as well. I ended up getting an amazing three-year lease for only $300.00 a month. I couldn't get that smoking deal with the extra $1000.00 required for the wagon, even though a wagon fits my lifestyle better. As a result, I needed the trailer hitch (Opie will remember that post!) installed so I have a way to transport my bicycles (used to just put them in the back of the WRX with the seats folded down.) The dealer fought me for about three days about the hitch, saying the Legacy Sedan isn't meant for towing. After much gnashing of teeth, I signed an agreement saying I would use the hitch only for a bike rack and carrying my 17-20 pound bicycles! Because of the lease, they technically still own the car and have the right to dictate this to me, it seems. Fellow cyclists out there, beware! You may have to fight for that hitch on the sedan. Todd[/quote] So they make a hitch already? I need one for my wagon and was told it would be a month, from an aftermarket guy.

I to prefer hitch bike rack vs roof and want a hitch for a LegGT wagon. I thought Suby was not offering hitch for Leg, just OB? I am buying, not leasing so no issue there. So what is available from Suby regarding hitch for LegGT wagon?

I'll attempt to attach some pictures. This is the Subaru factory hitch, the part number is: L101SAG000

I agree, according to all information I've read, the sedan is meant to tow as well as the wagon.

MVC-004F.thumb.JPG.efc5060241b366d203d7693082298bf6.JPG

MVC-003F.thumb.JPG.52ae9c955a568be071c8e5bd53d6fb0d.JPG

MVC-002F.thumb.JPG.90995b2973d72a2b853287a0bb7ef94b.JPG

MVC-001F.thumb.JPG.aa6836b5e4acb2b618b2b8337a4068c4.JPG

UrQ, I noticed you bought yours from Shortline in Denver. I bought mine from a dealer in Colo. Springs, and Shortline was the only dealer in CO that had the silver sedan, so they drove in the silver one from Shortline to Colo. Springs. Shortline feels the stupid need to drill holes near the rear liscense plate to install their DUMB "Shortline Automotive" on the car. My dealer here had to fill the two holes, sand, and re-paint the liscense plate area when they took off Shortline's metal name......rediculous.... Mark 2005 Legacy Limited GT

Someone posted the pdf on this site a while back of the exact factory manual for hitch install for the Legacy. Search on hitch and you'll probably find it. So with that install pdf, ordering the factory part from the dealer and installing it yourself is not a trivial install, but it doesn't look too bad either. And... the hitch itself looks very beefy and well designed.

Yes, Mark, Shortline's one bad point is that worthless drilled in badge of theirs, but since I'm leasing the sucker, they still own the car and can do what they'd like. They have quite a lot of inventory now, including another silver one. They told me the owner of the place is a complete a-hole about making sure that badge is on there. Racerdave, I'm very pleased with the hitch and as you noted it is substantial and integrated nicely, rather than having that bolted on or drilled in appearance. I've already taken the bicycles for a spin and it worked very well.

I started with Shortline in Denver since it was closest to where I live. The sales people were pushy. Every single Legacy on the lot was already pinstriped (really ugly) with the badging done. The first internet contact would never provide a quote and the second contact simply ignored my emails. I ordered from Burt on Broadway. I'm glad you are happy with the lease arrangement, but I really felt uncomfortable doing business at Shortline.

Wow, that's exactly opposite of my experience! The guys on Broadway made it sound like it would kill them to give me the $300 a month / 36 month lease that Shortline easily provided me. Everything on Broadway was, "I have to talk to my manager," or that "take you in the back room" stuff, which I can't tolerate. Any honest business should be discussed in front of me and out in the open. Shortline was out in the open (in front of other customers) and went out of their way to make the deal I needed. Just shows you how much luck and timing is involved whereever you go!

Yesterday I went into the dealer here and he showed me a chart that did not even list an application for the GT. "Because it is too low compared to the Outback" he said. Is the OB hitch the same as the Legacy?? I NEED a receiver for my bike rack(s).

Yes, it is the same exact hitch with the part number I listed above! Looks like it's going to be a fight like I had. Tell them you'll sign something (if you're leasing) saying you won't haul things, only use it for your bikes like I'm doing. It bolts on firmly and securely. The dealer told me it takes eight bolts and is only held on with six because of some configuration with the Sedan gas tank(?), but looking under there, I can't see where the other two are missing. It fits very securley, is strong and solid and easily carries two bikes! Good luck fellow cyclists! Todd

[quote name='UrQ']Yes, it is the same exact hitch with the part number I listed above! Looks like it's going to be a fight like I had. Tell them you'll sign something (if you're leasing) saying you won't haul things, only use it for your bikes like I'm doing. It bolts on firmly and securely. The dealer told me it takes eight bolts and is only held on with six because of some configuration with the Sedan gas tank(?), but looking under there, I can't see where the other two are missing. It fits very securley, is strong and solid and easily carries two bikes! Good luck fellow cyclists! Todd[/quote] Thanks Todd. I shudder at the notion of putting my bikes on the roof. How much was that installed? Maybe I need to re-read the posts... :?

Yes, I've done unfortunate, evil things with my garage and my poor bikes on a roof rack on other cars. :( The rack would just ruin the look of the GT. It was about $329 purchase price and installed. The kit comes with "tie-ins" to the brake lights and everything (as though you were towing a boat), so they simply installed the hitch and nothing more. I still have the box with the remaining parts. I'm sure the hitch alone would have cost less. Insist they install it! But, Brad, I just noticed, if you are getting a wagon, then do what I did they the WRX Wagon I sold and just put the bike back there. You don't even have to take off the front wheel! If you need two bikes, as the friend or wife to put it on their car. Well, the wife might not like that.

[quote name='UrQ']Yes, I've done unfortunate, evil things with my garage and my poor bikes on a roof rack on other cars. :( The rack would just ruin the look of the GT. It was about $329 purchase price and installed. The kit comes with "tie-ins" to the brake lights and everything (as though you were towing a boat), so they simply installed the hitch and nothing more. I still have the box with the remaining parts. I'm sure the hitch alone would have cost less. Insist they install it! But, Brad, I just noticed, if you are getting a wagon, then do what I did they the WRX Wagon I sold and just put the bike back there. You don't even have to take off the front wheel! If you need two bikes, as the friend or wife to put it on their car. Well, the wife might not like that.[/quote] I had a receiver on my A4 too. If I was solo I could easily take off the front wheel and stick all my stuff in there as well with the 60-40 split back seat. I just need the option of carrying two or even three bikes. Oc course I could take the mini-van in these cases but what freakin' fun would THAT be? :)

Archived