LegacyGT.com

Cleansweep/Wire Run Questions

SkiDaddy

Hey guys, I'm planning on putting the Cleansweep in the trunk with the e6450 & sub. I remember someone mentioned to use twisted wires for the run from the OEM headunit to the cleansweep. I've found twisted RCA cables everywhere, but where is a good source for twisted wire (I assume kinda like speaker wire?) for the Cleansweep? What gauge?

I haven't poked around the OEM HU yet; is there a multiconductor disconnect that goes to the OEM speaker wires I can pop off & plug into my new twisted wires? (I'd prefer not to cut the OEM wires). Where can I find the new connector to solder these twisted wires to?

How do folks usually control sub level with the Cleansweep? Use a seperate sub gain knob? Or just manually set it & live with it?

Finally, what are the pros & cons of running all the wires along the passenger side, under the doorsill I presume, versus down the center? I have kids who don't pay any attention to what they step on or how hard they trample it.:icon_surp

Thanks! :)

Hey guys, I'm planning on putting the Cleansweep in the trunk with the e6450 & sub. I remember someone mentioned to use twisted wires for the run from the OEM headunit to the cleansweep. I've found twisted RCA cables everywhere, but where is a good source for twisted wire (I assume kinda like speaker wire?) for the Cleansweep? What gauge?

Most people recommend 18-16 gauge wires. Just pick em up from ebay.

I haven't poked around the OEM HU yet; is there a multiconductor disconnect that goes to the OEM speaker wires I can pop off & plug into my new twisted wires? (I'd prefer not to cut the OEM wires). Where can I find the new connector to solder these twisted wires to?

http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/Legacy-pinout.htm

How do folks usually control sub level with the Cleansweep? Use a seperate sub gain knob? Or just manually set it & live with it?

I would do a manual sub gain knob. Some amps come with one. If not you may be able to add it to your amp or you can pick up a processor/eq that has bass gain controls. (ex. audiocontrol epicenter, etc)

Finally, what are the pros & cons of running all the wires along the passenger side, under the doorsill I presume, versus down the center? I have kids who don't pay any attention to what they step on or how hard they trample it.:icon_surp

Thanks! :)

Keep power wire separately from speaker/rcas.

no offense, but it sounds like you might be over your head in this installation. If all you want is to add a sub to your stock setup, the cleansweep is not the way to go.

True if you just want little bass. Adding subaru oem underseat sub is prob best way to go. But if you want huge quality bass, then you do need some sort of factory eq compensation like cleansweep.

If you want to add a better quality sub and nothing else to your stock system...you don't need the JL Cleansweep...I have 2 W3's hooked up to the stock headunit with no JL Cleansweep...Car Toys installed it for me...so I don't know what they did...but the install was about the same price as buying a cleansweep (I already had the subs and amp from my previous car)

So how does it sound?

I'm sure they just used LOC or direct speaker level input to the amps if the amp accepts high level inputs.

A lot of us reported disappointing results when adding big amp/sub combo with just factory speaker level signals using that method.

For me, bass is such an important/noticeable component of overalll sound that I couldn't live with it being muddy/inconsistent with changes in volume.

If you want to add a better quality sub and nothing else to your stock system...you don't need the JL Cleansweep...I have 2 W3's hooked up to the stock headunit with no JL Cleansweep...Car Toys installed it for me...so I don't know what they did...but the install was about the same price as buying a cleansweep (I already had the subs and amp from my previous car)

no offense, but it sounds like you might be over your head in this installation. If all you want is to add a sub to your stock setup, the cleansweep is not the way to go.

umm....he's got a six channel amp. :rolleyes:

To answer the Q, no need for twisted pair speaker wire. Use plain old 18awg out of the head and back to the CS inputs. Then, use twisted pair RCAs to the amp inputs. You can then run another 8 conductors back into the wire harness behind the radio for the door speakers, or do like I did and run new wire straight into the doors.

Subs with an LOC is the way to go. If you are going to add speakers as well,I would go for the Cleansweep.

If you have already bought the Cleansweep, gl on the install. I want to get one someday. Right now I just have subs in there and it sounds awesome from the LOC. From there just adjust the levels on your amp and it will be perfect.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Thanks for the replies guys. Wrasse, that link was sweet, especially the $14 connector prewired & ready for cleansweep hookup!:icon_bigg

Still not sure if I want a Cleansweep or a cubby mounted Kenwood Excelon KDC-X589 ($250). It's a 24 bit HU, triple RCA outs. SQ should be audibly better than a Cleanswept OEM HU. Just not sure if I want the looks of the cubby mount.

The car is coming tomorrow at 8:30!:icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg I think I'll live w/it for a week & ~play~ w/the cubby before I decide.

Congrats on the new car! I think the stock stereo is decent but lacks quality bass. Things get expensive quickly upgrading our stereo.

I considered just adding an oem subie subwoofer but I had all this unused gear (amps, components speakers, subs, etc) laying around so the added expense was doable for me.

But if I were starting fresh, I'd probably just do the OEM subs and call it a day. That frees up about 2K for engine/suspension mods!

Have fun with your car, it's a blast!

Thanks for the replies guys. Wrasse, that link was sweet, especially the $14 connector prewired & ready for cleansweep hookup!:icon_bigg

Still not sure if I want a Cleansweep or a cubby mounted Kenwood Excelon KDC-X589 ($250). It's a 24 bit HU, triple RCA outs. SQ should be audibly better than a Cleanswept OEM HU. Just not sure if I want the looks of the cubby mount.

The car is coming tomorrow at 8:30!:icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg I think I'll live w/it for a week & ~play~ w/the cubby before I decide.

I had most of my gear sitting around for a year (I have some left for sale *wink*)...the stock system + stock sub is really acceptable for most. I didn't mind it that much but wanted to get my gear in once I had time to do it. :icon_bigg

Yeah...just adding the sub via LOC makes it sound a whole lot better...and since you said the music just isn't the same without some bass...don't get the oem sub for that reason...it distorts rather easily, I had the oem one for about a week and couldn't stand it...spend the extra money for some good subs and amp...

Archived