LegacyGT.com

50 watt HID kits?

Xenonk

I am thinking if I were to go with HIDs, I want to kick it up a notch with some 50watt HIDs instead of the typical 35watt... aside from more wattage consumption, does anyone know the lumen output difference between the two, not to mention the lux difference? If a good 35watt HID does something around 3000 to 4000 lumens, I hope that the ballast supports the bulb to achieve 6000 to 6500 lumens.. I would get it. Thoughts?

http://www.az-project.jp/50whid.html

Keefe

I was actually looking at this today too. I think I may go for the Xtec Race kit.

Check out RPM stores product description for the Xtec kits. It has a chart with the color xxxxk, and Lumens. It looks like the highest lumens output is with the Xtec Race 4500k kit.

The Xtec kit is 35w and the Xtec Race kit is 50w.

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_38&products_id=56&osCsid=4c3b64ccf31126c7e8ba2a3db36a8d00

but if you get the lux up (lumen/m^2) I am sure the road will be easier to see.

but you're right, my last set of HIDs had an output of something around 3500 to 3700 lumens @ 35 watts.. so unless I can find some stats on a 50watt kit doing something like 5000 to 6000 lumens, then I'll go for it.

Keefe

There was a guy on the Audiworld forums that was an HID NUT... His handle was actually S4HIDMadman. He had HID Lights, DRL HID, Fog HID, hell I think he even had Interior lights that were HID's.

Anyways, I remember he got a 50W kit and wasn't impressed. I can't remember the lumen difference but it was like a mere 300-400, something in that ballpark.

What he saw wasn't much different than his older one's.

His first kit was a 4500k, then a 5400k, then a 6000k. I'm pretty sure the kit he had in the 50W was the 5400k and it produced the about the same as the 35W one.

IMO, the 35W is the way to go.

Alright ~ here's some info:

I'm not sure about the bulbs but I know 4300k bulbs put out around 3000 lumens @ 35W and from the looks of it, a 5000k bulb @ 50W puts out about 5000 lumens.

Here's a list of regular 35W Xenon lumens:

5000K 3200 lumens

6000K 2800 lumens

8000K 2400 lumens

10000K 1800 lumens

12000K 1800 lumens

here's a link to a picture... (i'm not completely sure it's accurate though). However I did get my xenon kit for my Audi's through SPP.

Click on "Lighting" on the right to see the picture.

http://supremepowerparts.com/

• 4 months later...

IS this the info that you guys/girls are looking for?

Color

Description

Apexcone

Lumens

Xtec

Lumens

Xtec Race

Lumens

"Ion" yellow

Pure white

White with a tiny hint of blue

White with a violet hue

Sky blue

Dark sky blue

Purple

Magenta

so for 50$ difference between the 35 watt and 50 watt you get 800 lumen difference. Is this difference noticeable to the eye? does it bother other drivers more than make our night vision any easier?

I am on the verge of springing for a 50W xtec kit, but am trying to figure out if the added lumens make a difference, and if it is not overkill for everyday driving.

i have the xtec 50w kit installed with 5000k bulbs. it looked a bit glarey to me (i walked down teh stree to look) so i just lowered the lights a bit. i set it so my high cuttoff (right side cutoff) so come up just a bit over the lenght of the beam (about 12 inches at 100yards asuming my street is perfectly level) and this keeps the low cuttoff on a slightly downlward angle drring normal driving and just above level while accelerating.

i really hate glare from crappy HIDs so i spent a descent ammount of time aiming them. im very happy with the result. allot of light on the road, not overly glarey, the color on the 5000k looks a bit pink but i think it should get more white/blue after the burn in so i just keep my lights on whenever i drive to accerlate the burn in.

im very happy with the 50w xtec overall

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

Anyways, I remember he got a 50W kit and wasn't impressed.

My friend has his setup switchable between 35W/50W in his A4, and I could definitely tell the difference in perceived "brightness." However, he does use the 35W setting most of the time. I have a 35W kit in my LGT, and I find it more than enough (since most of my driving is in the city anyway).

However, I am no lighting expert... So Keefe, you can contact him (agravic 2.0) if you want more info. :)

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24873

i really hate glare from crappy HIDs so i spent a descent ammount of time aiming them.

The best thing I did to eliminate glare from our LGT projectors when installing HIDs, was to fill in the "rectangle" that's in the cutoff shield. I believe that this space in the cutoff shield is to help illuminate road signs better with the stock halogens.

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/exterior/hid1.jpg

-Mike-

The best thing I did to eliminate glare from our LGT projectors when installing HIDs, was to fill in the "rectangle" that's in the cutoff shield. I believe that this space in the cutoff shield is to help illuminate road signs better with the stock halogens.

yes and yes. good job.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/exterior/hid1.jpg

-Mike-

What did you fill it with? Walkthrough? Pics?

Thanks.

---

i dunno i kinda like seeing the signs :iam:

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

Cobb, Perrin, APS, Invidia, Megan racing and MORE!!

Your #1 source For Subaru / Legacy GT performance parts!

What did you fill it with? Walkthrough? Pics?

I used some exhaust repair putty. Just use something that can bond to aluminum, and can resist the heat from the bulb(s).

No walkthrough or pictures, as I'm usually too impatient when modding the car to stop and document. :p

-Mike-

Archived