LegacyGT.com

Can rims be repaired

Thrasher

Just hit a pothole this morning on the Northern State- BANG! My left front SSR Comp is not so nice anymore. Noticed the steering wheel shaking a little afterwards; visual inspection confirmed the worst. Nothing $450 or so can't fix- no wait, don't forget the high speed balancing and 4-wheel alignment. An expensive hit, after all is said and done.

Can't really fault the SSR's, even with their super-soft rep. It was a brutal hit at 70mph or so. They've been good up to now, and I can't complain about the rim not taking the hit today. It was hard.

So there's a bend in the rim now- Anyone know if bent rims can be repaired, and if so, anyone know a place on the Island or tri-state area that does it?

Is it inner or outer lip that is bent? There is a place in the Bronx that fixes rim. About $80 to $100 a pop depending on how bad it is. There is also another one in queens that is cheaper, but it is less sophisticated. Around $40 for a fix, but that one is better if it is the inner lip as they tend not to be too careful with the finish of the wheel.

I can get you addresses if you wish.

X

---

There are places all over the place that repair rims. I've never seen it cost less than $100 for even just curb rash, so I'm sure a bent rim is a little bit of green. If they were cheap aftermarket rims then I wouldn't sweat it. If they are expensive or aren't made any more then sometimes the repair bill is worth it. It's not hard to get a 3 or 4 hundred dollar bill for wheel repair though. Call your dealership and ask them who they go through for wheel repair on their trade ins. You might get a good hook up that way.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

They're pretty decent rims- SSR Comps. I think it's just the lip- that is I hope it's just the lip. I'd def spend $100-200 to salvage it, as long as it is balanced and true after all is said and done...

What's the name of the place in the Bronx?

Keefe- I was just thinking you were the man for the info! I can't snap a pic now, but will post after daylight tomorrow. It's prolly about 3-4 inches of the outside lip that's flattened- perhaps 1/4" or so bent down from the outside circumference at the max. point of distortion....

Tire Rack is no longer advertising this rim in Anthracite. If I can source one, it's time to buy one anyway as a spare.

Keefe, ya think rim repair is safe, and can rims be returned to trueness and balance?

tia

rich

Found a place called Wheel America. Apparently a wheel repair chain with ten or so locations. They had before and after pictures of damaged and repaired wheels, including pictures of the rims I have. The rim in their picture was much more damaged than mine. Anybody have any experience with them?

They're pretty decent rims- SSR Comps. I think it's just the lip- that is I hope it's just the lip. I'd def spend $100-200 to salvage it, as long as it is balanced and true after all is said and done...

What's the name of the place in the Bronx?

yes they guarantee the repair for the life of the rim, so if it looses air, or it can't be balanced, they'll fix it right. I'll get you the info tomorrow. I had a rim repaired there once and it is not a bad place.

I also saw a bunch of really expensive bling rims being repaired there when I went.

X

---

Westbound, out between exits 28 and 27, I believe. Should have noted it; now I'll probably drive through it again tomorrow when I leave for work at 0330. Taught me to always scan the surface of road as well as vehicular traffic. Will update with Wheels America experience later today.

that mobile company is sweet as hell. they a setup near me, awesome. keef, if u remember i used to have 18 inch piaa sport mesh wheels. they got slightly bent+curb rash, then i got into accident. wheels are fine, i just found is a good oppurtunity to go same wheels but 17s. been much happier, but i still need to seel the 18s. u think its worth it for me to have them fixed up and sold? do repaired rims sell higher than if they were in their original damaged state? i would think so, but i don't know how buyers (on ebay) feel about repaired rim. your expert advice would be much appreciated :)

I had the rear wheels balanced and rotated to the front, fronts now on the back. Shimmy is gone, but I can faintly feel the left rear (former left front) a tad off. This accident actually helped get me off my ass and rotate the tires (they've got about 7k on them now). There is a Wheels America place about 10 miles away from me, so I'll be going there later today to see about getting the wheel fixed. Got me thinking....

maybe bead blast the wheels and get them powder-coated black, leaving the machined lip for contrast. Anybody know if that's a bad idea?

Will post my experience with getting getting bent rim fixed.

that mobile company is sweet as hell. they a setup near me, awesome. keef, if u remember i used to have 18 inch piaa sport mesh wheels. they got slightly bent+curb rash, then i got into accident. wheels are fine, i just found is a good oppurtunity to go same wheels but 17s. been much happier, but i still need to seel the 18s. u think its worth it for me to have them fixed up and sold? do repaired rims sell higher than if they were in their original damaged state? i would think so, but i don't know how buyers (on ebay) feel about repaired rim. your expert advice would be much appreciated :)

a repaired rim is in a better state than it was borked...

you just have to sell them for teh chepAR

Keefe

wheels america has a location in farmingdale by adventureland. pricing was $125 to repair the wheel, $10 for supplies and $18 to dismount/ mount/ balance the tire. Total was 166.39 when i was there 10-18-05.

The address is 141-F Central Avenue Farmingdale NY Tel-756-9303

this was for the OEM subie wheel. I have also had some konig villians repaired there years ago.

If they can fix it 166 is better than 450. Worst case, fix it and keep it as a full-size spare.

edit- didn't see you were already going there. good luck

Archived