LegacyGT.com

Does 05 Legacy GT feels faster than, say....Hyundai XG350???

hello. people

I currently drive a 2001 2.3l Accord sedan LX, and i've been looking for a new car. I love my Accord. i think it has decent power when I'm driving by myself but when I drive with four more people with AC on. it just gives up. My passengers dont notice that the engine's running hard but I can feel it cause i'm pushing the gas hard and the engine doesnt rev up.

Anyways, I looked at new legacys and 250hp on paper seems to be more than enough. but does it really feel like it has 250hp? I deliever(?) people a lot and I just dont get respect from them as a car enthusiast. They keep asking me "why did you get an Accord?"(dont get me wrong, Accord is a great car...I got this car because im a car enthusiast!) So I want to get a car that "feels" fast. Now, I've driven few cars and believe it or not, the fastest car that i've "felt" is Hyundai XG350......I've driven 03 Ford Mustang Cobra but it didnt feel that powerful. maybe somethings wrong with me but XG felt fast (that thing pulls from "any" rpm).

So, does the Legacy feel like it's a fast car? i'm thinking about getting one with MT.(BTW i attached a picture of my car)

4-2.jpg.a604118a8823dbe4e4c368f0c284c682.jpg

Accords are good cars, I had a 2000 for awhile. But I don't think many car enthusiasts would get one for its driving abilities. We may have different definitions of enthusiast, but what I typically think of is someone looking for a little extra power and handling to get through the winding backroads on the way to work or something. An Accord is a nice, safe and reliable car, but hardly sporting. Although the 240 hp V6 pulls decently. With that said, you will have no problem noticing the power of the GT. I've never driven a xg350 but if it is hyundai I can't imagine it being too fast. Take a manual legacy 2.5GT for a spin, you will definitely feel the power. I dropped the clutch in 1st at 3000rpm, punched it (not WOT) and quickshifted to second and punched it again. The speedometer needle moves as fast as the tachometer. Be careful tho, I was doing 70 in second gear before I could look down at my speed! I test drove the WRX a few weeks before the Legacy and I think the Legacy felt much faster and smoother. I test drove a Mustang a couple years ago, it was a Cobra I think with the big 5 liter engine. I wasn't impressed at all, it was loud and rumbling but not much oomph. Anyways, the legacy is probably closer to 260 or 270hp, looks like Subaru underrated the engine.

Hmmm... I've never driven the XG350 so I don't know how fast it feels. Without trying to be critical, 194 HP in a 3600 lb car doesn't strike me as quick. I've heard many folks make the comment (and I agree) that the Legacy GT doesn't "feel" fast although it is. I think the lack of feeling fast is because of the incredibly smooth ride, the sound dampening in the cabin, and lack of noticeable exhaust note. Don't get me wrong. The car [b][i]is[/i][/b] fast, you just might not notice it unless you are paying close attention to the speedometer. Case in point: I went on a trip shortly after I purchased the GT and, while on the highway, a few cars passed me slowly while I was going 70 MPH. I sped up a bit to keep pace with them. The next thing I know, I'm doing 95. Here's the thing: I didn't realize it until I looked at the speedometer. The car is [b][i]that [/i][/b]smooth. I figured we were going 80 or so. Granted my last car was a Miata where you hear everything and feel every bump in the road. :)

I have close to 3600 miles on mine. I also have a 220+HP turboed Honda Civic. Believe me, the Legacy is fast you just don't feel it is much.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a 2001 Accord EX 5-speed (4-cyl. of course). I have test driven the Legacy GT and the Legacy 2.5i and they both feel faster than the Accord. The reasons: torque and gearing. The 2.3L accord engine has very little power below 3000 rpm. In addition Honda has saddled the car with too-tall gearing in gears 3, 4 and 5, with a hole between 2 and 3. In comparison, both Legacy models, even the naturally aspirated 2.5i, have a lot more torque down low and carry shorter gearing. So the Legacies give a much better sensation of power. Of course, as soon as you get the GT above 2500-3000 rpm, it becomes a rocket. :twisted:

it's the short gearing and it doesnt deliever the "umph" until you get the car closer to the 1:1 ratio gears. Basically the final drive is very short, it doesnt give you that big kick that you are expecting.. but just imagine if the LGT had a WRX final drive? THEN THE CAR WOULD REALLY FLY! Keefe
Keefe

Honestly, after test driving several Legacy GTs and WRX STis, owning a WRX, and now driving an Outback XT, I think the 250HP/250ft-lb turbo motor in the new Legacy/Outback is underrated. I have seen some dyno numbers that suggest more like 260HP and 270ft-lb torque. It is very fast! The car will most surely blow the Hyundai away. Craig

Archived