LegacyGT.com

Nameless Muffler Delete Axleback or OBX catback

Car is now 17 years old with 135k miles. Car runs and looks good but one muffler has a hole and the other is about to get a hole. I can get the Nameless for about $380 or the OBX catback for about $280.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainless-Catback-Exhaust-Fits-2005-to-2009-Subaru-Legacy-GT-2-5L-4Cyl-By-OBX/1563617871?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101194874

It is garage kept and now gets about 2000 miles put on a year at most. Plan on keeping it indefinitely.

I have a 4 post lift and a welder so modifying the catback if needed should not be much of an issue.

Looking for opinions on which to get.  

Edited by SIDrive

Civilization has brought Evolution to a screeching halt

2007 Legacy GT auto

1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans AM

1987 Buick Grand National

1983 DeLorean (Buick turbo transplant)

What is your goal for sound?

The Nameless will be much louder than the OBX.

The OBX is louder than stock, but I'm not the biggest sound of the sound. I used the OBX 3" midpipe with a different axleback for mine.

I have a Legacy STi catback or STi Genome axleback that would work for you that I think would sound better than the OBX.

I also have a Invidia Q300 Catback if you like louder.

If you want loud, and don't mind drone, then get the Nameless or the Invidia Q300

If you want not as loud with minimal drone, the STi Genome might be your ticket.

If you want a little louder than stock with a growl at lower RPMs, then go with the Legacy STi (it's quiet at hwy speeds).

You can find sound clips for most of these on Youtube, just listen with good headphones and realize that it's still an approximate sound.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

What is your goal for sound?

The Nameless will be much louder than the OBX.

The OBX is louder than stock, but I'm not the biggest sound of the sound. I used the OBX 3" midpipe with a different axleback for mine.

I have a Legacy STi catback or STi Genome axleback that would work for you that I think would sound better than the OBX.

I also have a Invidia Q300 Catback if you like louder.

If you want loud, and don't mind drone, then get the Nameless or the Invidia Q300

If you want not as loud with minimal drone, the STi Genome might be your ticket.

If you want a little louder than stock with a growl at lower RPMs, then go with the Legacy STi (it's quiet at hwy speeds).

You can find sound clips for most of these on Youtube, just listen with good headphones and realize that it's still an approximate sound.

Goals - no real sound goals. The stock system is way too quiet. I specifically ordered mine without the spoiler on the back so it looks like a sleeper. Though possibly once emission tests are done with this car I might go with a larger downpipe and ditch the cats. So from that point of view the OBX makes more sense. 

I did listen to some videos on Youtube. Thanks for the headphone advice.

Surprised the Nameless is louder than the OBX.

The OBX eliminates the resonator? Read somewhere the resonator is what is muffling the turbo spool sound. Love hearing the whine of the turbo in the exhaust.

What about fitment issues with the OBX? I saw some videos where some people had troubles with fitment and alignment.

I know the nvidia Q300 is quite a bit more money. Kind of wanted to keep the overall money spent around $400 for this. The GM turbo cars listed in my signature are heavily modded money pits. 

The Legacy has been good to our family. Only things that have broken in 17 years are all 4 wheel bearings and the radiator. Did all the repairs and maintenance myself.

Edited by SIDrive

Civilization has brought Evolution to a screeching halt

2007 Legacy GT auto

1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans AM

1987 Buick Grand National

1983 DeLorean (Buick turbo transplant)

I have a used Q300 catback I can ship you for $400, I'm just afraid it'll be louder than you would like if you don't have any specific goals in mind.

I have heard about fitment issues with the OBX as well, but don't remember how mine fit.

I get most of my turbo noises from a Grimmspeed intake, I don't hear much in the exhaust note; but that might just be my hearing.

Nameless has a unique sound, and I love it for acceleration, but I have a wagon and it droned bad on the highway. I tried it twice, but had to swap it out for something else.

Some people don't have the same issues, or have a higher tolerance for drone.