LegacyGT.com

First time cranking no oil pressure.

Well after a year of Blood Sweat and Tears we are getting ready to start this thing for the first time. I hooked up a mechanical gauge and crank the motor to see if it would build up any pressure but it's not reading anything. I disconnected the oil pressure gauge and no oil is coming out of the line. Is this normal behavior.? Does the motor need to be turning at a really good clip to build up pressure? Any help would be appreciated

Did you add petroleum jelly or anything to prime the oil pump?

You can try this: Remove the oil filter and crank until oil comes out. Then add filter, replenish oil and start.

Tried a bunch of stuff and couldn't get it to build pressure so I decided to say screw it and fire it up with the fuel hooked up. Car fired up and within 2 seconds oil pressure was up. I guess these boxers do things differently. Thanks to all for your help this thing is actually running now. Just have to put in the gasket / Crush Washer for the power steering pump line as I forgot to do that and fluid started leaking all over the place:-)

• Like 1

Sorry to be late to the game. But as you learned, do what the factory does. Make sure you have fuel and start the engine. 

Back in May 2012, after reading about all the guy's trying to prime the oil system. I just did what the factory does. That engine had over 154,000 trouble free miles on it when I sold it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here