LegacyGT.com

2024 Subaru Legacy Electrical Issue

Hi,

I recently bought a 2024 Subaru Legacy. I had a security system with cameras installed by an outside business. They apparently messed something up related to the electrical system. The view screen will not work and a bunch of warning lights came on. The dealer told me the car went into "power save mode" (or something like that).

My car has been at the dealer now for almost a month. They claim that the fix will cost over $5000. The third party is covering the cost with their insurance.

My question is - Subaru has told me that the car needs a new BIU. They also took all my keys and told me the keys will need to be redone.

My main issue is that the Subaru service center said they cannot get a BIU for another month. My car will be in their service department, disassembled, until late April.  They said the BIU is backordered. 

Does this sound correct? 

I would imagine it's because all 2024 BIUs are slated for new vehicles and they didn't plan on having to replace any brand-new ones already.  So it's going to take a while to get one that wasn't already claimed by a new vehicle on the assembly line.

• Thanks 1

It's part of a trio of systems (Instrument Cluster, BIU, and ECU) that all have to work together for the car to function.

BIU usually is responsible for more of the car systems (outside the engine controls that the ECU manages).

The BIU is usually tucked under the dash and is hidden from general access.

Each of these three systems is coded for the VIN number of the car and the keys are matched.

So if one piece is replaced, they have to be resynced with the other parts and the keys.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

It's part of a trio of systems (Instrument Cluster, BIU, and ECU) that all have to work together for the car to function.

BIU usually is responsible for more of the car systems (outside the engine controls that the ECU manages).

The BIU is usually tucked under the dash and is hidden from general access.

Each of these three systems is coded for the VIN number of the car and the keys are matched.

So if one piece is replaced, they have to be resynced with the other parts and the keys.

Roger! I assume incorrect aftermarket wiring is akin to a static shock on a computer motherboard. 🍳 

Edited by Dantvballcoach

The BIU is where all your fuses go on the inside, usually an access panel just in front of the left knee while seated in the driver position will let you look at it and replace any fuses that happen to blow.

As far as parts availability I can not speak on that, but I do know somewhat recently there was a microchip shortage an whatnot so that's going to cause a big backlog for everyone, not just Subaru.