LegacyGT.com

Loss of Homelink range for garage door

"Half a block away" is an unrealistic expectation for Homelink; it's not designed to work at those distances. Most likely, something has recently been installed by one of your neighbors that is a source of (permissible) electrical interference in the shared, and often crowded, frequency band assigned to Homelink. Be happy that your garage door opener works reliably from the driveway.

• Like 2

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Have you made any changes to the opener, such as installing new LED bulbs? Some can interfere with the signal. You could also install a longer antenna (simple wire) from the opener to a location outside to help signal reception.

Edited by OneFore9
  • Like 1

Thanks for your comments; actually I did install one of those multi-vaned LED lights in my garage a while ago.  I will take that out and see if it makes a difference. 

I was getting a range of a 'half a block away', so it was doing that before, so whether Homelink was designed for that distance or not, it did it.   The sudden loss of signal effectiveness suggests something new happening, either my LED light or a neighbor doing something nefarious.

On 2/21/2024 at 6:58 PM, paulbuck77 said:

... I did install one of those multi-vaned LED lights in my garage a while ago.  I will take that out and see if it makes a difference.

Bingo!  FWIW, the installation instructions for my Chamberlain garage door opener specifically caution NOT to use an LED bulb, for just the reason you experienced. Apparently, the driver circuitry in some LED lamps generate lots of electrical noise at radio frequencies ... and the bulbs in most garage door openers are within inches of the receiving antennas.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

13 hours ago, paulbuck77 said:

or a neighbor doing something nefarious.

those pesky neighbors setting up signal blockers is too damn high!

Edited by silverton