LegacyGT.com

Clearance between tire sidewall and strut tube?

DrD123

How much clearance do you need between the sidewall of the tire and the strut tube?  I have about 22mm stock - if I were to go with tires that were 13mm away, in my head I should be just fine since the wheel/strut move as an assembly, but I didn't know if there was anything weird about the tires flexing as you drive (was thinking most of the deflection is at the bottom/contact patch with the road, and the upper part of the tire stays pretty much in the same position...

• 1 month later...

I’ve literally got less than 1mm of clearance between my sidewall and the spring collar on the KW coilovers I’m running on my track car, (w/ Continental Extreme Contact Force 255/40/17) and shockingly, no rub. Way closer than I’d like but as long as there is no contact…

I ended up getting a brand new set of STi option rims for the 2016-2021 WRX (they are black 15 spoke rims - 18x8.5, ET55) with 245/45-18 tires (Pirelli PZero AS+ 3) - finally got it all together on Friday (with new OEM TPMS sensors) - they look great, definitely feel a whole lot more stable just cruising along than the Avid GTs and there's no rubbing!

• Like 1