LegacyGT.com

Replacing TC Air Intake Hose

CBRRICH

The hose that attaches to the intake of the turbocharger on my 05 GT has developed a tear and needs replacing. The manual gives a lengthy process to remove the intake manifold in order to access it involving disconnecting the fuel system and draining the coolant. 

Has anyone tried to replace this  hose by removing the bolts that secure the manifold to the TGV intakes and lift the manifold just far enough to disconnect the lines (looks like 4) from the branches of the Intake Hose and replace it?

I implore you to pave the way, but in my experience of replacing about a dozen of these, it sucks even with the manifold off the car.  I wouldn't put myself through the torture of trying to fuck that hose in place in the engine bay when it takes about 30 minutes to remove the manifold.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to do it without removing the Manifold.

First of all, take good notes/pictures of where the hoses go and how they are routed, it will save you time at assembly.

Second, my car is a 2005 with 212K and many of the original rubber vacuum hoses have become hard and brittle and a few broke. Be prepared to replace them and it would be a good idea to buy them ahead of time. 

Here is how I did it and what I learned:

Removal

1. Remove engine cover, and intercooler.

2. Remove the Intake hose and the two bolts that secure the intake duct assembly (IDA) and Duty Solenoid and bracket. Remove the (3) electrical connections and as many hoses as needed to get it out of the way. Note which hose goes where and mark them, once out note the routing of the hoses above or below the IDA. Remove the two small hoses connect to the front of the IDA.

3. Disconnect Throttle body and orange connector on same harness and the vacuum line that runs to the brake booster to get them out of the way. 

4. Remove the 3 bolts that secure blow off hose and plastic vacuum manifold (PVM) at the rear of the intake manifold, remove plastic manifold by sliding the short hose off the IDA and unplugging the both ends from hoses that go to the hoses that go to either head. These were very brittle and I broke one, I suggest you buy them both ahead of time (~$23). I was able to reuse the short hose coming from the PVM but I would replace it if I knew how stiff it was.

4. Loosen the hose clamp to the TC inlet, you can now rotate the IDA to make things easier. Reach in with long needle nose and release the clamp on the blow off hose (BOH) and remove it. Note: clamp has locking feature that allows you to release the clamp pressure, slide off the BOH, and make it easy to reinstall. If you can't get it to lock, just keep pressure on the clamp and wiggle it free and lock it before you install it.

5. Remove the electrical connector next to the hose that comes from the PCV line which will also free the hose. Reach under the harness with a small screwdriver to press in the tab and free the harness from the IDA.

The IDA should come out now with some wiggling. This took about 30 minutes.

Reassembly was pretty much the reverse, I put some silicone grease on hoses to make things go together a little easier.

1. Wiggle the new IDA into place making sure you don't push hoses that go to the Duty Solenoid into the wrong places (ask me how I know) and slide on to the TC inlet.

2. Attach the PCV line and BOH (release the locking clamp). Install the PVM with the short hose attached and connect to the IDA, plug in the ends and install the (2) bolts to secure it and the one bolt for the BOH. Reconnect electrical harnesses to Throttle body and orange connector (?) and brake booster hose.

3. Install the Duty Solenoid and associate hoses. Another casualty was the small hoses leading to the white disk shaped item (Pressure Sensor Filter?) they were brittle and broke.

4. Tighten the clamp on the IDA at the TC inlet, Install the Intake hose.

5. Install IC and engine cover.

As always, Installation takes more time than the removal. I got hung up with hose routing and connections so that wasted time but I would bank 2-2.5 hours to do this though you may be able to pull it off in as little as 1.5 hours if all goes well (and when does that happen?).

Let me know if you think anything needs clarifying.

Hoses I would order before doing this, you may consider doing all of them just to be sure:

99071AC310

9071AC010

99071AC240

99071AC260

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I would just add that since replacing this inlet pipe, performance has improved considerably, most of the stumble on acceleration is gone, and the mileage has gone up ~ 3 mpg. Looking at the pipe you can see why.

IMG_20240202_150306834.jpg